Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: EVO Gold fret wire

Hey, dmac, it's been five years. How did they wear?
  2. Re: Swedish Christmas Youtubes. Moller, Tallroth etc.

This one has Roger Tallroth playing bouzouki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW9oH6eqyg
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it nearly impossible to copy Loar?

In many cases, yes.

Take JR's--a famously good-sounding example made from two different trees, one half being about 20 degrees off quarter...
    ////////////

You couldn't give that wood away...
  4. Re: Tailpiece needs repair - suggestions appreciated

I would use a punch on the back side and widen the post, that is how it was put in there in the first place.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it nearly impossible to copy Loar?

Yeah, but the price points aren't quite right.....yet.
    A copy of a 20-25K mandolin--if it's any good--is probably worth 20K, right?... ;)
    I guess that a modern maker who gets 8-10K for an F5...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn L&H Style C No. 2181 Mandolin

The photo Paul linked to is so cool that it should be posted here for posteriority.

Mick

Briefly tried to track down the Ault delivery van...looks like a Chevy logo behind the short sax player...
  7. Re: Barney Kessel Playing A Gibson 12 String Mandolin?

I just listened to the Pet Sounds box set on a road trip, and that Gibson octave 12-string is everywhere, and not just "WIBN"...
    It's pretty distinctive, especially after getting very familiar with...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting early Gibson factory photo

No need. The answer is in the photo you posted on April 17. It appears to have been taken in the dry kiln room built on to the back of the original factory in 1918. This is a single story addition...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Teens Gibson Finish?

Without having it in hand, I presume the finish is thicker on top and/or it had different exposure - e.g., hanging on the wall. I've long held that the finish is more likely to be thicker on the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Why The Call It "Bigleaf Maple"...

This is not even the biggest one I've seen...
    Lots of biomass in these leaves...

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8418/30291149836_830f27693d_z.jpg
  11. Re: Would A New Fretboard Fix Intonation Issues?

While poor fret spacing would cause this, it is unlikely the problem. More likely is that it is a setup issue.

The way to narrow this down is to figure out where it is flat or sharp.

Also, how...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ditson Bowlback Bridge

Wait a minute! You shouldn't be resting your palm on the bridge anyway, should you? I just took out two mandolins, one bowlbacks and one archtop and I can't even see how you can play resting your...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Round mandolins

Look at the carved bat mandolin linked to in her other post. There is French writing and a dated label on that one. Looks kind of the same. That one was created for a gathering of the French colonies...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Measurements

Thank you, Bernie. It was built by Joe Mendel. A great guy and a great luthier. I have a video of it with eight strings somewhere. I'll post when I find it. I don't know the lower bout dimensions,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Measurements

It's my first time visiting the builders forum in a long time, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread at the top of the list. I've been playing the 27" scale mandocello for several years...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remove unidentified old glue

That's what I run into in my repair business. Often the guitar is a $100-500 guitar and not worth putting more than $100 into the repair. I try to give the client options, such as, I can fix the...
  17. Re: "Bear Claw" spruce vs good straight grained spruce

I felt compelled to post this picture of Spruce with Hazel. Carry on.
  18. Re: Better alternatives to Duco Cement...looking fopr new suggest

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/Make-a-big-bowl-of-popcorn_zpstj582gty.jpg
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Neutralising Vinegar?

Vinegar and Lemon Juice are both acids. You can't neutralize an acid with an acid.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pine For Bracing?

Just FYI, "Alaskan spruce" = "Sitka spruce"...
    Yeah, there's some Black spruce growing in AK, but I'm sure we're not dealing with that species...

And don't even get me going on all those numbers,...
  21. Re: 1920 Gibson A Tailpiece repair or replacement

There is a very effective repair technique for these tailpieces. This thread is about a different style of tailpiece, but the repair outlined by Paul Hostetter is basically the same....
  22. Re: Is this Lloyd Loar's handwriting on this Gibson label?

I believe the handwriting on the Gibson guarantee labels from 1920 is that of Jimmy Johnstone, head of the Stringing Department.

Joe
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger plane designs - prototypes etc.

Personally, I don't like the wooden sole idea. These things make a lot of trips over the wood to do their work, and they wear. The Ibex planes I have are bronze (not brass), the the one I use the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Glue for Nut and extension of fret board

The nut should be glued lightly to the end of the fingerboard only. A couple of small dabs of Titebond, Elmers, superglue, anything like that as long as it is a small amount. Don't glue the bottom...
  25. Re: pick up for a 1921 gibson a style oval hole

The missing headstock logo isn't really missing unless there is a routed void on the headstock where it was, it probably was never there. It didn't appear on all Gibson instruments. Lots of people...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4