Search:

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

G, you're an inspiration. Coincidentally, I was planning on picking up a Dirtry 30s from GC when I spotted the cheap Kentucky! I will follow the advice you and others gave here and take it to a...
  2. Re: Can you recommend an inexpensive beginner-friendly mandolin?

I would tell all of them to watch this video by David Benedict:

https://youtu.be/BmTu2GpRE7o?si=lfZMOnI5_MRZjpXo
  3. Thread: Hello All!

by GarrettC
    Replies
    Views

Hello All!

Just wanted drop a note and introduce myself to this lovely forum- I'm Garrett, a musician living in New Hampshire focused heavily on Scottish/English/Cape Breton traditional music these days, trying...
  4. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

In my limited experienceI have had a Kimble A-5 that was outstanding , A Ellis A-5 Special that is pretty and special and a Gibson DH Fern are some of the best I have ever played
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin as a fiddler?

Thanks for sharing your musical journey. I was a very active member of the newbies group here for a few years, and had noticed your earlier participation there, and of course have seen many of your...
  6. Replies
    Views

Yes. I started on violin when I was 10, classically trained, and played in orchestra all through the end of high school.

I started learning bluegrass and fiddle tunes when I was 13, based on the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Everybody's journey is different, but basically having played violin or fiddle can give you a boost for learning mandolin. Also, in my opinion mandolin will give you insights about how to expand and...
  8. Replies
    Views

I've taught both instruments for many years.
    The biggest difficulty is learning the difference between the pick and the bow.

On the violin, the bow does whatever is necessary to follow the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Interesting discussion.

When I’ve sold instruments, I’ve often played strings up each fret, as well as playing some licks and snippets of tunes. Thanks to GMorgan’s post, should I sell one in the...
  10. Replies
    Views

This is a good suggestion that I really never thought of... I'm going to bring this up next filming.
  11. Replies
    Views

They think they're selling themselves rather than the instrument.

Back when dirt was new, my classical guitar teacher illustrated the resonance of instruments by playing the open strings in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Demonstrating a mandolin

Why is it that those folks that are trying to sell a mandolin, and producing a video, only play hot licks and chords. I would like to hear the individual strings one at a time. It would only take a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I’m on Skyrizi as well. After a few different meds, it’s seems to work the best so far.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

Yes, absolutely this, i.e., landing the ring finger on the sixth fret (especially the C# on the 4th string for me). I know the majority of violin skills don’t 1:1 translate to the mandolin but I am...
  15. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

"Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?"

Kinda depends on how badly you need kindling and how much you're willing to spend for it. :whistling:

How about making the day you do...
  16. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

No.

A student of mine had a good late 40's Gibson guitar, and left it in his car all day in a parking garage on a 20 degree day.
    When he showed up for his lesson, I saw light through the...
  17. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  18. Re: New mandolin player - Loar 600VS - Clean inside the scroll?

Don't look inside any old Gibson scrolls.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastmans Galore at Fuller's in Houston

Google says they're at 116 North Loop, Houston, TX 77008
    https://www.fullersguitar.com/service/
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Monel Strings with a wrap?

Fiddle strings won't hold up, they are not made for frets.
  21. Replies
    Views

Those are Thomastik-Infeld 154 Precision Mandolin Strings - .010-.033 Medium's. The lights have yellow thread wrap.
  22. Replies
    Views

"Flatwound" strings are polished smooth, (so there's less finger noise) & you can't see the windings. Some guitar string brands have different colour ball ends....but if the strings are silk...
  23. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  24. Five mandolins sold in a little over 2 weeks via consignment

Officially retired this past July and man has life been busy. Had decided to reduce the case clutter in the house 2 years ago but just now getting the time to start.

Super busy with so much I...
  25. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Last week the top brace repair was completed by Tom Crandall and I went back to the city and picked it up at the shop. We raised the action a bit and it sounded and played great. I asked Tom what...
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4