Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: ChicagoLand Mandolin / Folk Music stores

The place to go is Down Home Guitars in Frankfort, IL. Home of the Frankfort Bluegrass Festival and the owner of the shop (Steve) is the one who puts it on. They have your Collings and Webers mostly,...
  2. Re: Anatomy of a fine Loar mandolin "Bench-copy/Tribute"

Could we keep the "copyright infringement/fraud/counterfeit"-topic out of this thread please.

Not only professionally am I interested in the legal part of this topic. But I donīt think that this...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find J Bovier

I had the same problem. You can wait for used J Boviers to turn up in the classifieds here - but, in a testament to the instruments, most people seem to keep them in their collection, so they don't...
  4. Replies
    Views

Tim and Sam at DIA storm shelter

A bunch of bluegrassers post Rockygrass had boarded the plane at DIA when a tornado was spotted and we were shuffled off down to the storm shelter. Tim and Sam pulled out their mandolins and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Million Dollar Mandolin--video

Ok, so I made you look--I doubt if there are any mandolins out there that somebody would pay a million bucks for, but I think the playing here is worth a million.

"Million Dollar Mandolin--Duke...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone mandolins

The car analogy is a pretty good one.
    I've never driven the high end cars you have, I had a Sunbeam Alpine that was lots of fun, had limits that became very obvious when you got close to them, but...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone mandolins

Gary -

Thank you for your reply.

It does and it doesn't answer my question. To explain why, I think I have to resort to two analogies, one related to wine and the other to cars.

IRL, I am...
  8. Re: What do you want out of your music store?

The unfortunate reality is that the old music store business model is dead. There are a handful of shops that are still able to hold their own, but most have or are in the process of going under. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bumper Snicker Ideas?

Help stamp out domestic violins -- get a mandolin.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: "Rocky Top" banned?

How can we get "Wagon Wheel" banned? :grin:
  11. Replies
    Views

Sweet Harmonies from Little Wooden Boxes

As usual, I was searching for something else and found this article about mandolin playing in Minneapolis and St. Paul from 2001 by Amy Kreitzer in the Minnesota History Magazine.

Sweet Harmonies...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mixed Feelings...

I'm going to take a step back from critiquing Monroe's music, and/or OP's take on it --

There are probably as many people on the Cafe who, while recognizing Monroe's importance in the "mandolin...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mixed Feelings...

So, what SHOULD this thread be arguing about, because I'm just not getting it.
  14. Replies
    Views

Top 4 Virginia Luthiers know how to pick also!

I ran across this little youtube video of the gathering of 4 of Virginia's top builders of mandolins,fiddles and guitars getting together for a little jam recording session during the fall of this...