Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tim O'Brien wants you to vote

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with where this is going. As much as we can all agree that you should vote I think we are getting past the no political discussion portion of the Posting Guidelines....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Neil Diamond Right?

I'm too busy forgiving myself all the time for being myself!:redface::grin:
  3. Replies
    Views

I have not given up trying to be Bertram Henze someday, yet...
  4. Replies
    Views

"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."
  5. Re: Straight Up Stings - Review and Question

Hey! I have two cents worth! I've also tried Roger's Straight Up Strings and they were cool. I used them until I chanced upon the Mapes brand. You can buy their pre-made sets or make your own at...
  6. Thread: New Bridge?

by Caleb
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Bridge?

I had an Eastman 505 that already sounded good. With the CA bridge is sounded better, and the full-contact just looked cool. I ended up selling it off anyway.
  7. Thread: New Bridge?

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Bridge?

My guess is that it might it will make your Eastman sound about $75 better. I would take that $75 and put it in your upgrade account.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: LH Pain with Hora OM

You might try putting the OM down and going down to Squirrel's.

Beyond that heavier strings probably aren't going to help your hand problem and I agree it might be more of an adjustment to how you...
  9. Neat 1904 Gibson A4 with some nice Handel Tuner photos

I've been traveling around shooting instruments at festivals and camps, and since there is a lot of love for early Gibsons around here, I wanted to share this
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Question for Grassers

I use the term 'tune' for an instrumental,& 'song' for a song. Another word for 'tune' is 'melody',& as instrumentals & songs both have a 'melody',maybe we should be a tad more clearer & use say,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Forum saving topics

Can't believe you forgot the "tone brothers" ToneGuard and ToneRite :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Gibson Master Models

A bit of history if it's not been posted before:

https://www.vintageguitar.com/29084/silver-lining/
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

A tone guard will make a mandolin whose player holds it so 70% of the back surface rests against the body sound louder and more resonant 100% of the time, and a mandolin held mostly away from the...
  14. Replies
    Views

I think you're lucky that only $75 makes your $3000 mandolin sound like a million bucks!
    Your analogy falls flat because fancy car rims are just for looks, not performance. The tonegard is exactly...
  15. Replies
    Views

It is probably the only mandolin gizmo I recommend, and I do recommend them. Don't like them? Cool. Haven't tried one, you should.

And by the way, as far as I know Bill Monroe never used one. If...
  16. Replies
    Views

Isn't this getting silly? You guys seem to have resorted to trading lists of great players who do and don't use ToneGards. What does that demonstrate? The fact that a good many of the top players...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

I joined in on this thread early on because the topic interests me, not because I think knowing or purchasing whatever pick CT is using these days will make me play better, or sound like him, or in...
  18. Replies
    Views

In order to try to get the very best from our mandolins,we should try different string brands / gauges / picks from time to time (IMO). It was trying out the DR brand of strings that 'Big' Joe Vest...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: No to cookie cutter mandolins

What about mandolin cookie cutters?

20. Replies
    Views

I've taken stuff gathered from a lot of reading here and turned it into useful help. I've also killed plenty of time. Knowing the gear folks use or like is useful (or not)/ That's really up to what...
  21. Thread: Pick advice?

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick advice?

I also like the rounded pick. There are times I will use the pointy part, but prefer the rounded. I also don't like the thick 2mm pick, 1mm is plenty thick and less works fine as long as it is stiff....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to polish picks?

Hi Rob - I've re-shaped / polished a few picks (& Thumb picks),not because they were worn or scratched,but because i like a certain point 'shape'. I use a Saphire grit nail file - pretty cheap these...
  23. Replies
    Views

Just an opinion, recording technology has improved so much that what Chris hears as he plays and what he can hear reproduced is so much better than way back in Bill Monroe's day. Anything that may...
  24. Replies
    Views

He really milks the tone with a Casein pick.

Jamie
  25. Replies
    Views

I too wonder about his socks. I think it's a shame we can't see them or his under ware. Really folks what difference does it make what pick he uses. Is it because he appears to have changed from the...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4