Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking over the fretboard?

You're probably referring to crosspicking. There's a lot of info out there on it.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: We don't need no steenking flat picks!

I watched Carolyn, for years, every Tuesday night in Houston. Good memories.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why So Few Resonator Mandolins?

Interesting discussion. I've wanted a RM-1 a quite a while and live within 15 miles of Rich Del Grosso but never made the commitment. So, after the weekly bluegrass jam, a fiddler and I end up at the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Greek strings

You're welcome. It's always nice to share this part of my heritage.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Greek strings

Rebetiko Music - "Greek Blues"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebetiko

My father immigrated to the USA from Sparta, Greece. He loved this music and it's all he listened to. Still does- he's 92...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Musicians and hats

Texas Country Thing. Consider it part of the Cowboy uniform. These days a lot of folks do it for asthetics but when I was growing up in cow town East Texas it was for practical purposes. Spend all...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Another airline problem

How could this be true? You mean to say an airline employee attempted to physically remove a person's physical belongings for said person? Isn't that called theft..or assault?
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Texas: The Pearl Bluegrass Jam's new webpage

Sue puts the energizer bunny to shame.
  9. Re: Jordan Ramsey wins the mandolin competition at Winfield!

Congrats, Jordan!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: why does my A string sound flat?

440 A sounds sour to me. A well respected fiddler, who I played with for years, would occasionally play my mando. I'd check the tuning afterwards and it was always in tune except for the A which was...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

Hilarious thread if you consider the mass of personalities that make the MC so much fun while also trying at times. I know this thread started with D asking for opinions. That'll teach him.
  12. Replies
    Views

First post in over a year.

Hi All!

Can't explain why I haven't been on other than sometimes life gets in the way. Glad to be back. Been playing as much as ever.

:mandosmiley:

I've been playing my Big Horn mostly and...
  13. Re: Traveling to Long Beach this week (9/24 - 9/28) - Suggestions

Bob, Me and Eddie.
  14. Re: Relative newbie asking: To setup or not to setup?

It wouldn't hurt for you to set it up if it were free since a professional set up might cost just as much as your mando did new. Learn to do it yourself as it's a good skill to have. The internet is...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I still don`t believe it...

Play what you want, how you want but if I don't like it I might have to get up and get some water. Btw, the Anti-bluegrass police are just as annoying.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: I still don`t believe it...

OhMMMGee... This guy. :))
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Does anyone ever play reggae mandolin?

I tried jamming on stage with a local reggae band and it was hard at first then was fun but I don't think I'll be getting paid gigs anytime soon. :)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the used Bighorn's?

I can answer this question as an official owner, they're creamy smooth play-ability and tone which is even across the board with a little more bass response than dryness makes a wonderful mando. The...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Country and Grass - Do They Mix?

Probably the same folks that feel the need to say the Mumford Bros. are not bluegrass just because they have a banjo in the band. The poor girl that, upon learning I played mandolin, said "I love...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Transcribing for $

Dave Peter's book masters of the Mandolin is a great example of how important it is to transcribe songs for yourself. He'd transcribe just about everything he liked just for fun. The little I've...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Common Jam songs

[QUOTE=jorgey;1199593]Not sure where to post this, but being fairly new, I thought I'd post here: I don't have familiarity with jams yet.../QUOTE]

There's a jam in the heights TONIGHT! Actually,...
  22. Re: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

Those silly hippies and their dancing and hula hooping. lol. I was in the back. Reminded me of two things. First is the time my mother invited over the charismatic christian group for a singing...
  23. Re: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

I agree whole heartedly with his comments about the performers aren't stilted but the audiences are. When I go to BG festivals sometimes I feel like standing up and dancing a little but the lawn...
  24. Re: Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe

Iqys8Ez7Cno

I promise I'm not trying to be the embedding police rather performing public service. :0
  25. Re: Chris Thile: WSJ Interview...Yup, he's a certifiable genius!

cXDL6_3gFu0

This was in another post, I believe. I went ahead and embedded for you. It's a great video that bears to be repeated. :)
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4