Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Northwest Steve (Hi, Steve!) has described the Pava neck, perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the neck shape. Just as described above. :mandosmiley:
  2. Replies
    Views

Mandolin world vs fiddle world

After two years of immersion in the mandolin world, this past six months I’ve been reacquainting myself with banjo and fiddle. Here are some observations about the mandolin world vs the fiddle world:...
  3. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Well, I'll need more time to fairly judge the Northfield. Right now am still in the honeymoon phase where it's all I'm playing. However, let's just say that it is as much a professional level...
  4. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Nothing wrong with deciding on that path. Do what works for you and don't worry about what the rest of us say. For short periods I can play about any neck shape. But once it gets down to playing for...
  5. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

Don't overlook the scale. Standard is 14" but I have seen several that were 13 3/4".
  6. Replies
    Views

NMD Northfield F5S

Well, it happened. Am now the new caretaker of Chuck Leyda's 2017 Northfield F5SA. Have been having an itch for one of these since hearing this one two years ago at a festival. With my wife's okay...
  7. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

daryl offers really good perspective here. There’s lots of advice repeated in this forum about playing an instrument before you buy it, and while that approach may work in some instances and for some...
  8. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

One other note since you mentioned Pava. I bought a mail order Pava based on there good reputation and I didn’t care for the tone. It was a beautiful mandolin but the tone just wasn’t my cup of tea....
  9. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

I’m gonna throw this out there cause I feel that it may be of some use to someone. I recently got a new mandolin and it has a slightly different neck shape then my mandolin that I’m used to playing....
  10. Re: Thoughts on neck profiles and a mandolin upgrade

When I had my 2 point made, I measured the width and depth of my favorite neck at 3 points and used a profile gage at those same 3 places to provide the necessary info for the builder. Perfect match...