Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mystery Mandolin Player

It’s not.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Best string/mandolin match-ups?

Pete Braccio, I also use EFW-74s on both a Mike Black A4 and a Gibson F5G, but the Orpheum tenor banjo gets Tomastic 174 light strings. They call them Mandola strings but folks on the far side of the...
  3. Re: What is the Difference between a $6,000 and $3,000 mandolin?

You could spend 6K and not do better than a Festival F. It’s all in the ear of the beholder. My theory is to never give up a mandolin until you’ve worn out a set of frets. The hunt is fun.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: considering an oval hole mandolin

No love here for Collings ovals. I own Mike Black #27 and have played several of his mandolins and octaves. Beautiful builds without the sterile look of..............not going to bash them again....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Index Finger Pain - Left Hand

The hand looks to be in an uncomfortable position. Mike Marshall has a video where he shows great ergonomics of the L wrist and hand. And don’t cut it off, I was just kidding.
  6. Thread: Picks?

by Mike Snyder
    Replies
    Views

Re: Picks?

People love to gripe about the cost of Blue Chip picks and the other premium cost picks. I cannot take a date out to dinner for what a BC CT 55 costs. I get the tone and volume I want from BC and Red...
  7. Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

The width, depth and contour of the neck are easily as critical to clean playing as a radius. Be that as it may, I had a Gibson radiused when refret was necessary, and my Mike Black A4 has a perfect...
  8. Re: Action too high or am I just playing badly?

Love the tee shirt. Throwing the disc and playing the mandolin is my retirement plan.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

This is at the heart of our nation; Embrace diversity. To do it with your mandolin, golden.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Good Deal Collings - Connecticut

That is the best reason I’ve ever seen or heard of for not putting a capo on any mandolin.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

I often hear it as a degree of accomplishment, used to differentiate between a “picker” and some person with a mandolin.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time To A Pickin' Festival

Old Settlers has a strong old-time following. Turkey Track has lots of jamming but can be clicky. Best to know someone for an in. Winfield is heaven. Show up on land rush day and find someone...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Attention Pipe Smokers

I quit the pipe last December and gave the collection away. I don’t miss it except when I come across something like this thread. You can bet that I would be online ordering a tin of Bluegrass, but...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A vs F style

OK, tell me this has never happened. A skilled builder has two on the bench, one A and one F. He knows that the A will require fewer hours to complete and will bring 3K when sold. The F will require...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugh. It happened.

A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into. So I sold the boat to buy a camper to do festivals and play music. Nearing retirement, I’m missing the boat. Not enough to sell a mandolin...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What on earth are you doing?

Great idea for a new thread; Jam Face. I’ve got one, a jam face that is, but I’m not posting it. Not first anyway.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Need a mic recommendation

I like my Sennheiser e935. Very similar to an SM57 but a cut above in most every way. I have used it on vocals and mandolin into various PA setups. Tough workhorse style mic with excellent...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Poor Man's Gibson

The Nashville Flatiron Festival is a huge value. Very good mandolins. I bought one in ‘01 from Morgan Music for $2150 and I see them occasionally in that range. Pretty consistent and completely...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

I’m sure you’re right. I want to be heard or I wouldn’t busk. But in an OTjam I want to become a part of the whole. I want to be inside the tune, to live there. Ultimately, I want to inhabit the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Why old time and bluegrass are not the same.

Bluegrass musicians use the tune to show off their musicianship. Old Time musicians use their musicianship to show off the tune.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Who plays a mandolin worth.......

Pretty much all patient care personnel in hospitals wear a watch. We’ve got all sorts of automated systems to provide us information about patient status but patients are not digital. Professional...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Who plays a mandolin worth.......

OK, how about this? Exact same amount payed for my Mike Black A4 As for my residence.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Considering a Blue Chip Pick?

I play the big triangle BCs in 80 and 100. Also have a CT55 that’s a little too thin and a 40 that just doesn’t beat the Wegen 140 on the tenor banjo. You thin pick guys have it good. You can’t get...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic/Irish Mandolins

Fibish is to the oval A what Reischman is to the F 5. Mandolin heros, both.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking to buy my first Mandolin

If possible, get as many mandolins as possible into your hands. Even if you don’t play yet. Have someone play at you, like in your face. Answers to your (very well thought out) questions will have...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4