Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

In light of some of the comments, I gave the album a few more listens. I was struck by my absence of emotional reaction, that it didn't move me in any way. I think it is music for the ehad rather...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

I have appreciated everything Chris Thile has done up to now, and of course I am sure he will continue to create incredible music. But this new album was lacking in so many ways. There just aren't...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull on Steven Colbert

Someone bought me this album and i hadn't heard of him before. I haven't played anything else since - I've been obsessed with it.
    I thought he must be some old country singe rin his sixties, I was...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Guvnor?
    How many times have you watched Mary Poppins?
  5. Re: St. Anne's Reel -2019 National Mandolin Champion

Congratulations - well deserved.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Back in 2009 when I joined the Cafe, within a week I had a 'phone call from Ivan. He saw a new member from the UK and he reached out. Over the years we exchanged all kinds of music, he helped me with...
  7. John Reischman and the Jaybirds in the UK (photos)

John and the Jaybirds are currently touring the UK. I saw them last night out in a small hall in a field in Pembrokeshire. They played beautifully, songs and instrumentals, such an amazingly talented...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Had both done and made a video at the time for anyone considering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIBmQs037s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIBmQs037s
    hope this helps
  9. Re: Proper form for playing B major shape chords on mandolin

4 4 6 7 is not only good for sliding up and down the neck but it takes little effort to make minors and sevenths.
  10. Re: I pulled the trigger again. Hope this isn't a blank this time

Hey Brick, I've had two operations for carpel tunnel, it was a very positive outcome. All problems solved and no negative consequences. Any operation can create anxiety, but I can assure you this one...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The “Intermediate “ problem

Hey Don, there are a stack of bluegrass backing tracks for free on Youtube which are great to sharpen your improvisation skills on. Even the tracks intended for specific tunes can be great for...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury

Hi Ivan, look in the "other buying options" section - it's £8-50 new with £1-50 postage. Worth every penny.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury

I have come to the conclusion there are two features of Ronnie's playing that give him a distinctive sound - apart from his excellence in every other aspect of playing the mandolin, he is...
  14. Re: If you could ask Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers one quest

How many songs did you record with Michael Daves and how do I get a copy of the unreleased stuff?
  15. Replies
    Views

Ronnie McCoury

I posted elsewhere how much I enjoyed Ronnie's playing on his dad's new album. but a few days ago I received the Travelin McCourys new CD. Have been away for three days listening to nothing but this...
  16. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

Have listened to the new Del McCoury album three times this weekend, and will probably listen again tomorrow.
    Ronnie's playing is both powerful and subtle. He never does anything over the top but...
  17. Free bluegrass backing track to play along to

It comes at different tempos, here's the slow version. Great fun. Check his list out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS6PEsd4c8
  18. Picked up a Stradolin - here's a video clip

Picked up

My "new" Stradolin - have fallen in love with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOluEX6fakk
  19. Re: Column: Beyonce's Message and What It Means for Bluegrass

Are people still discussing this stuff? I didn't realise it was an issue in 2018. Perhaps not having a TV protects me from such nonsense. I have, however, heard of Beyonce, but I couldn't name a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield A5

Wow! I'm a big fan of all things F but that is as beautiful as anything made by man.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Spinal Tap - Stonehenge

I read an interview where one of the writers said they went on tour with Saxon to pick up ideas.
    Twenty years ago I got to know the lead guitarist in Saxon. One day I was round at his house and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 2018 IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year???

I like the ambition in calling it volume 1
  23. Re: Top classical pieces every mandolin player should know

A few years back I had this kind of thought, and began learning a piece. In the end it did so little for my heart that I returned to fiddle tunes. Even Thile playing Bach is of limited interest to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings mandolin thoughts?

I'd say if you find one you like, don't exchange mandolins at a jam with someone who owns a vastly superior instrument! I love my Kentuckys, but swapped my 505 for a Gibson (just for one song) and...
  25. Re: New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopeful

I was chatting with the mandolin player of "Front Country" at a gig and he said his case was dropped and the head of his Collings broke. I have a Travellite which has fallen off the shelf (or been...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4