Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone have tab or chords for this?

There are other rock and blues musicians out there who use the mandolin within that context. Check out these via youtube videos:
    Ry Cooder, blues and slide guitarist but he plays a few tunes on...
  2. Thread: Chords

by Teak
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

My apologies MandolinCafe.

I was responding to a thread wherein the poster asked about using 3-note chords instead of 4-note chords. A lot of posters jumped in right away assuming the OP wanted to...
  3. Re: Copyright to Public Domain, Big Event Imminent ...

Maybe we should start a thread in which we collect songs or tunes for which we know have gone off copyright. Here are a few of which I play that no longer have copyright.

St. Louis Blues (1914)...
  4. Re: So... They seem to think I'm starving and homeless?

Maybe the money was for lessons! :))
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Want to learn Jazz mandolin

Well said, ralph! This has been my experience also. I have stuck with simple "jazz" tunes such as Honeysuckle Rose and Devojko Mala and created my own "alternate" melodies that stuck within the...
  6. Re: Bruce and Sons Stringed Instruments near Omaha, NE

dang! (Not swearing; that is the moniker, eh?)

Thanks for this news. I have contemplated having to drive down to Kansas City or Lawrence for a refret but knowing that there is someone in Omaha who...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Nickel bronze strings

I have both a Sitka spruce topped mandolin and an Englemann spruce topped one. The nickel bronze strings sound good on both.
  8. Replies
    Views

From what I read, these are phosphor bronze strings with nickel coating. The phosphorus content is less than 0.35% and is supposed to help with wear resistance and stiffen the tin-copper (bronze)...
  9. Replies
    Views

I love them. They are my string of choice and I got the local music store to carry the 11.5-40 sets just for me. I usually get at least 4-6 weeks out of one set even playing every day.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Impress Your Friends

That's how I bill myself also: the Closing Act.

Want to clear the auditorium quickly? Bring on the Closing Act.

:))
  11. Thread: Once owned by

by Teak
    Replies
    Views

Re: Once owned by

I once helped frame up a house with a hammer formerly owned by my brother-in-law, a skilled and in-demand contractor. Afterwards, I didn't know what to do with it. (It's probably in a pile of tools...
  12. Thread: Once owned by

by Teak
    Replies
    Views

Re: Once owned by

Once owned by ... is for collectors.

Players don't need that type of "certification".
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: K&K Pickup or Microphone on Collings?

You should add the Sennheiser e614 to your list. It responds rapidly and is small and nimble. I have one mic stand with a Sennheiser vocal mic up high, my iPad clamped on in the middle, and the e614...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping instruments for sentimental reasons

All I can say is when we Baby Boomers start dying off, there are going to be some fantastic fire sales on mandolins, guitars, and other items. Perhaps that will be our gift to the Millennials.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Time Open Jams

The Monday jam in Willmar, Minnesota, is held at Whitney Music, 6-7 pm. It is truly a jam in that people sit in a circle and the song choice goes around the circle. Mostly acoustic guitars but there...
  16. Replies
    Views

They are called "open mic" for lack of a better term. I have attended both and there is never any mic turned on and they are acoustic. They are truly jams in that the song choice goes around the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Cool.

The Note Gallery in Marshall, Minnesota, hosts an "open mic" the first and third Thursday of every month from 7-8 p.m. It is not specific to any style of music since small towns cannot be...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden string choices

I have also gone to the D'Add nickel-bronze, but found they have a set that is 11.5-40, which I really like. Those J74s seemed to die within two weeks at my level of playing, but I get 4-6 weeks out...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The Glamour of Being a Big Mandolin Star

Ouch.

I had a similar experience, but not musically related. One time I was traveling to southern China to check out teaching opportunities in that area. It was suggested that I stop by an agent's...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues, S, & R -- apologies

I appreciate the tunes that you have been posting, but thought that your pace (at least one new tune each week) was at an unsustainable rate. You could probably cut back to once a month, like Pete...
  21. Thread: Dunlop Picks

by Teak
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dunlop Picks

I just switched to the Dunlop Primetone 1.4 (large triangle) and love it. My local music store now carries them (my suggestion) and charges only $5 for 3.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Black Piccolo Mandolin Build

Love that cat silhouette on the peg head!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: so heres what happens when you choke on a gig.

My worst gig, to date, happened two years ago. Me and a piano player had been playing without any amplification up to that point. She was asked to provide free music at a cancer treatment fund raiser...
  24. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: June Jazz tune of the month

For sure.

What's that quip again?

Rock musicians know a dozen chords and play to thousands of people.
    Jazz musicians know thousands of chords and play to a dozen people.

Sounds about right....
  25. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: June Jazz tune of the month

My audiences to a 'T'.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4