Views

Sarah Jarosz at Shrewsbury Folk Festival

lots of octave right off, real nice 1 hour+ concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-9VSrV2Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-9VSrV2Ck
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I may need to change my next purchase

I believe so. I remember seeing a Cafe thread a while back where someone was talking about visiting the Ellis/Pava shop.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Poor Man's Gibson

Hans Brentrup used to build a 'Poor Man's Loar' (PML) model. :whistling:
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Band Finds to Share

I became aware of this band when the mandolin player, Luke Fraser, recently decided to relocate to my hometown, Halifax.

https://youtu.be/v_4LPYxY4ik
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Virzi tone produce

Ah yes, the clip that launch'd a thousand tone producers:

_6KwwE5LpvM
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

You don't know a fiddle tune until you have forgotten it.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual listening suggestions please

Well if you know what kind of sounds you want....or the style. ..just start imitating stuff you hear in those forms, and do it. (BB and Hendrix were just examples...and the point was that you can't...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Beautiful one piece backs

That back is stunning. All the instruments in this thread are stunning, but this one is like the light at the end of the tunnel.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

Learn to play the banjo.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Godin A8 Vs Epiphone MM50E

I have both the loar 600 and godin. I was playing in rock bands with drummers etc and tried a few electrics. the godin was the closest to sounding acoustic of all I tried. the godin neck is smaller...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What qualifies as a "jam"?

If someone brings a book to a jam it is because they need to bring a book to a jam. I would sooner play music with that person than with the one who would disparage or belittle the book person.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What qualifies as a "jam"?

Do you recall the fifty-song swing jam set that Don Julin was generous enough to bestow on the Cafe? Do you really think he is sitting around making crumby sounds with people who get nervous without...
  13. Re: To bevel..or Not To bevel, that is the question.

If you play with pick angle, any pick will bevel naturally (Blue Chips wear, you just have to play the hell out of them). If you play flat to the strings, the pick will mostly just wear down flat. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick for ITM/Triplets

The angle of attack goes to vertical for them too.. sometimes that's helpful to think on.. here's a little video I did ages ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymP9kBd3TY
  15. Re: How to get a more bluegrassy tone out of my Eastman MD505?

A couple of things the OP didn't mention were how old the mandolin is and how much playing time is put into it. I may get flamed for saying this but.........here goes, I've found that the bass...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: secular songs of praise

Check this out. Vive la praise. Tres secular. Subtitles if you don't speak French. Je veux means "I want:" love, joy, good humor, etc.
    VWbdcNmGYJU]VWbdcNmGYJU
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for a Celtic/Gaelic mandolin

I've played mandolin in Irish traditional sessions for years. I play an f-hole Flatiron carved mandolin and no one has ever complained that my sound is not "right". How you play the instrument is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the Thanks, Scott T.!

I may be slow in noticing this but I just wanted to say thanks to Scott T. and crew for giving the option to "thank" people for their posts. It's a nice feature that I just noticed a couple of days...