Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up at Gibson?

Most days, it seems my mandolin needs a robot PLAYER!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik strings

Not necessarily. I've played in pretty high energy Bluegrass bands for the last 40 years and have been using flatwound strings for 19 years now. I know quite a few people who use flat wound strings...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mozart on my self built mandolin

I have a friend who plays that way. He is a fantastic guitar player as well as mandolin. I also believe that Elizabeth Cotton of "Freight Train" fame played that way as well.

4. Replies
    Views

Silverangel 363 Test Drive VIDEO

Here's a recent test drive video of my newly acquired Silverangel with Adirondack top. This mandolin has a James tailpiece and Rubner tuners. I was playing with a BlueChip TP 50 pick. This...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: carving first top

not the top, but still plenty intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2n8Kdw2qNY
  6. Replies
    Views

OP's not responding to advice

Maybe I'm being becoming a curmudgeonly old git, but don't you just hate it when someone comes onto the forums asking for advice about XYZ issue, and then just disappears!

No follow up, no...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Most unique use of a mando bass

That was one of the "most unique" things I wish I never had seen.

If you close your eyes though, it's easy to remember 1978 . . .
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Most unique use of a mando bass

change that word "sound" to "noise"....bet they`ll get booked on a Bluegrass festival somewhere before long though....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Nut Filler

Like the old krazyglue and baking soda trick, it's a very temporary fix. It seems to work at first, then you realize it's not working very well anymore at all. Better to do a real substantial remedy...
  10. Re: Having a beater mando vs a case that can take a beating

That depends on your taste and what situations you need to use a beater mandolin.

If you are talking about festivals like Wintergrass, etc., then you'd be best using a good case and bringing your...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the function of the body?

I'm reminded of a discussion that took place in a physics class at a university in Nashville in the early 1970s. The professor (a sho' nuff captured WWII German physicist) was working with Yamaha to...
  12. Replies
    Views

Actually, no, the problem is not (just) one of directionality, and of focusing the radiated sound field. The problem is that the energy in a vibrating string couples only very weakly to the air...
  13. Replies
    Views

A single string vibrating in air creates a sound wave that is omnidirectional. As a result, the sound dissipates quite quickly over distance (i.e. it's soft unless you're next to it). A hollow body...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Oval Hole A

You can order an Ellis oval hole A model directly from Tom, I have one, I play it every day. Very pure tone, great sustain, much different than my Ellis A5. I was told he's only made three since the...
  15. Replies
    Views

If you relate the sound to a speaker cabinet a closed back cabinet will take more power to achieve a level of sound than say a ported cabinet. The sound hole, like markscarts I believe, allows air...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about worn frets

In line with Brian's comment above, I generally refrain from the procedure some call milling and crowning, because you bring all the frets down to the level of the lowest divot in one of the worn...
  17. Thread: Tail piece angle

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tail piece angle

Back to the OP.
    One thing that came to my mind when seeing the mismatch of the angle was one older thread when someone's tailpiece screw kept being pulled out of the block because of this. If there...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: I want another mandolin but, ...

The problem is that you asked. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
  19. Thread: Tail piece angle

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Dr. Cohen my changes had nothing to do with sustain, but it was a noticeable volume change and to me a little less muffled sound. Cleaner on the G string most noticeably. I went back and forth in two...
  20. Thread: Tail piece angle

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Well this does keep getting more interesting. I was doing a little work on my Brentrup A when I thought of this thread. Now the Brentrup has a very nice gold (brass, maybe bronze) tailpiece that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Dave Cohen already answered that when he said:
    "The breakover angle of the strings over the bridge results in a static down force on the bridge and in turn on the top plate. What sets the top plate...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New strings needed

The Cafe has always been such a good resource for information and I have always appreciated everyone's willingness to help others. I have been using flat wound strings for 19 years now and it's one...
  23. Replies
    Views

I would like to use this thread to thank Larry and Mike E. and the many other members who have consistently recommended FW74 strings.
    I use them on both A and F mandolins for all types of music and...
  24. Replies
    Views

D'Addario EJ74 are a good starting point. But you should just try different strings every couple of months to see what you like. Try coated bronze strings. Try silk and bronze, silk and steel, FW74...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Perhaps due to it's current girth I can suggest a new name and logo?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3