Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

In additional to his astonishing and original talent, one of the kindest and most generous people you will ever meet. I studied with him in the late '70s-early '80s when he lived in Oakland, CA and...
  2. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

More “atom splitting.” First few minutes give some idea of the character. Yes, he’s a character. Music starts about 2:55. Frank’s break is about 4:40.

tGiYrDBvvPU
  3. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

From the NY Times on Frank Wakefield, 1973: Timothy Crouse of Rolling Stone has described his playing, in an inspired phrase, as a mixture of “bouzouki plate‐smashing music, bluegrass runs and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

Some of us only play it half-fast.
  5. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Interesting that Frank appears to be using a thumb pick. Perhaps compensating for thumb joint pain? Or has he always played this way?
  6. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Here's a new recording that even the old time Frank Wakefield fans may not have seen yet. Just shared in the last few days after a visit from Michael Daves and Tony Trischka.

7. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

I’ve only heard of Wake Frankfield
  8. Thread: Good mic for...

by morgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Good mic for...

The AT 3035 is sort of the poor man's 4033, but still good for your intended purpose. They haven't been made in a while but used ones are typically $150 - $175 (at which point the few extra $ for a...
  9. Replies
    Views

How about one of Rode's battery powered condenser mics , versatile for either with or without Phantom power..
  10. Thread: Good mic for...

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Happy Rode NT-1 owner here. It's a decent mic at a nice price. The AT 4033 is more of "the standard," but does cost more.
  11. Replies
    Views

I second the AT 4033. There's a bunch of used ones, was well as new ones, on Reverb. You will safe $$$$ and will find that it works just as well as ET's. No matter which mic you buy, you still have...
  12. Replies
    Views

... I would like to clarify that if used as in a PA situation there is much more than the mic to think of. A good 32 band EQ etc. is easily more important than the microphone.
  13. Replies
    Views

The Audio Technica 4033 is "the" modern original "old style" single mic. Del McCoury used these in the 90ies.

While the Audio Technica 4033 will set you back about 400,- USD an alternative might...
  14. Replies
    Views

I think there are more practical and useful mics for a jam session/band than the Ear Trumpet microphones where you must be paying a fair amount for the 'old-timey' aesthetic. I'd suggest the Audio...
  15. Replies
    Views

Yes, the Ear Trumpets mics are highly appreciated for that setup. A lesser expensive mic would be the Aston Origin.
  16. Thread: Good mic for...

by TX2AK
    Replies
    Views

There have been several threads about that fairly recently. There are a lot of great recommendations in those. I have an Ear Trumpet Labs Josephine, and we have a lot of fun with it; though,...
  17. Mandolin Shootout: Gibson A-4, Eastman MD505, Gretsch New Yorker

I thought I'd have a little fun with this video and compare a few mandolins I had at hand this evening. The instruments featured in the video are three VERY different A-style mandolins: my Eastman...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404 or Kentucky KM-272?

You meant the 15th fret, right?!:grin:

(Internet is back.)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dawg Leash

I think that's why the hat-wearers began to sling the strap over the right shoulder. I much prefer the 'leash' style now, as there are several advantages, including the ones you mentioned here.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

I adjusted the pickup height a little to compensate for the slightly weaker output of treble strings.
    Listening to the balance on this video of a recent jam where I was DIed into the PA it sounds OK...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404 Truss rod question

I gave the truss rod nut 1 last tweak this morning, put the cover back in place, and am calling it done for now. It plays very well.

Thank's for the help meow-n-dolin
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404 Truss rod question

Thank's for the reply.

You may be correct. I have been thinking the same thing, because I believe the truss rod works by compressing the lower, while stretching the upper portion of the neck...
  23. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDk115TkTg

The [flange] effect on the opening (signature) guitar riff is pretty iconic.
  24. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

Hmm ... penny-whistle?

Here's a quick clip I did to test my El Rey when it arrived recently.

Have to start saving to get a fuzz-box :(
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

I managed to track down a second hand El Rey and it arrived from the UK last week.
    I’m really delighted: looks very pretty, sits nicely when played standing with a guitar strap, has a comfortable...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4