Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Pop-leaning folk/newgrass in the "old" Nickel Creek style

FYI, to post youtube videos here, just use the string of characters that appears after the v= in the url.

PQyvuwsQdGQ
  2. Re: Non-mando: how well does Spotify or Pandora pay off for artis

Everything is free now
    That's what they say
    Everything I ever done
    Gonna give it away
    Someone hit the big score
    They figured it out
    That we're gonna do it anyway
    Even if it doesn't pay.....
  3. Thread: Tommy and Sierra

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Tommy and Sierra

Tommy seems to be on a mandolinist collaboration thing lately. This is nothing but beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEbEBId9CQ
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

As far as I'm concerned, SJ will always be 'one of us' with a special place here at the Cafe. What a privilege to watch a talented and groundbreaking young musician mature and grow musically, try new...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

NC and CT are always conversation starters here. Since they are never just repeating the same sounds that can either invigorate or dismay listeners. I really enjoyed watching the video where Mr....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mighty Poplar

Great album.

The Story of Isaac, in particular, is an incredible song.
  7. Thread: Mighty Poplar

by rnjl
    Replies
    Views

Isn't that kind of a low bar to clear?
  8. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe At 0:08 .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkR_DYAlYSQ
  9. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile & Clay Hess

Just came across this jam session video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU52XDSqBGM
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

Thanks for the list of songs to check out. I have a couple of PB albums, but only listened to them once. This will give me a more targeted exploration of their music.

I agree about the new NC...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Emporium mandolin play-off

That was mine up until last winter. I bought it new, so I had it for most of its life, twelve years. TME sold it for me after I acquired another Heiden. Not sure to who, but I think another Cafe...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Sucks being a Canadian sometimes

Canada strictly enforces the rules about importing ivory and other materials from endangered species, not just to stop the present harvest but to eliminate the market completely. The idea being that...
  13. Replies
    Views

The "Essential" Chris Thile

The online music journal where I work, San Francisco Classical Voice, mostly covers classical music, opera, and jazz, with occasional forays into folk and traditional music from around the globe.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 515V vs Collings MT

I read this thread before the blind test, so I went in knowing which was which. To my ears, you have two very nice sounding mandolins! Your Eastman proves (once again) that they are not just...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Your favorite Patreons?

Reina Del Cid are my favourite Patreon project. Well worth an explore
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ReinaDelCid/videos

excellent covers and original material too. Good sense of humour too.
  16. Re: Will I Notice A Difference? Gibson 1917 vs 1922-34

Late '21 and '22 had all the Loar era improvements except the thinner necks and snakehead headstock. My '22 A2 has a paddle head, truss rod, adjustable bridge, and sounds great. I had an earlier A...
  17. Re: Will I Notice A Difference? Gibson 1917 vs 1922-34

I think '22 saw the introduction of the truss rod .. starting at the top A/F4 ..

My A4 has but the brown A 0 does not.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Use MuseScore

Press F10 to get to the mixer and select whatever instrument you want. My experience is if you set the instrument to the mandolin at the beginning or use the mandolin template I think somebody...
  19. Re: Will I Notice A Difference? Gibson 1917 vs 1922-34

My observation is that how the instrument has been kept for the last 98 years seems to have as great if not greater impact on the sound than the differences the models had 98 years ago. Has it been...
  20. Re: Will I Notice A Difference? Gibson 1917 vs 1922-34

I've always thought that on the average, the teens mandolins are a bit more responsive, as long as you find a good one. Others may not agree with me.

Generally speaking, snakeheads have smaller...
  21. Re: Will I Notice A Difference? Gibson 1917 vs 1922-34

So, here are my answers:

The introduction of the truss rod in that era allowed for more narrow “modern” neck profiles.

I have read from luthiers I’d trust to know that graduations of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

It. Is. Finished! The world's first recording of the complete Bach Cello Suites on mandolin is done! It's not perfect, but it's complete! If I had tried for the perfection of Chris Thile, or Carlo...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Recording through the Bach Cello Suites

Sorry... fell a little behind posting my recent recordings! This one wasn't as fun for me. It's really hard to get the different melodic lines to come through, and the fingerings and playability of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Am I seeing more A style mandolins?

It could be because people have been listening more with their ears than their eyes, so to speak, ;) and have come to the realization that ... A models sound fuller than the flashy looking F models....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Music, not coding, makes for smarter kids

Now it's just a matter of teaching the culture that intelligence, aesthetics, humanities . . . matters. :popcorn:
Page 1 of 2 1 2