Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

11 1/2 feet, mixture of eastern white cedar and western red cedar with mahogany inwales and single seat. :grin:
  2. Thread: Wood ID

by MikeEdgerton
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wood ID

Repurposing furniture into musical instruments is a long and proud tradition :)

Orville Gibson was known to do it.
  3. Thread: Wood ID

by Charles E.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wood ID

Whatever it is , it looks nice. Good find and good luck with your builds.
  4. Replies
    Views

Finally built one for myself

I gave a video presentation at the CMSA convention in the cloud last November. In the following zoom Q&A session, a participant asked me if I had ever built a mandolin for myself. I have had...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: scraping celluloid bindings

yeah, I use CA on the fingerboard bindings. Sometimes the headstock, but even there I'll use a little Duco and the slurry at the miters. Which is a compromise. Not wild about it on the body where...
  6. Replies
    Views

When I'm under time constraints I use CA for celluloid bindings instead of Duco for the simple reason of speeding things up. Otherwise, I've used Duco for over 30 years, I'm familiar with the process...
  7. Replies
    Views

Agreed-- I use CA for binding fretboards, pickguards, and headstocks. I may make the leap to doing bodies that way too, it's just a mental barrier I haven't overcome yet :). Some well-known mandolin...
  8. Replies
    Views

And another new A style mandolin

A new A mandolin with what I like to think of as Moderne style segmented sound holes, which went off to its new owner today. He wanted a slightly wider fingerboard - 33mm at the nut. Englemann spruce...
  9. Replies
    Views

I prefer gluing binding with CA because of this. You have to work extremely precisely though as any voids will show. I sometimes use a dot of celluloid mud on miters and wait a day or two.
    If I were...
  10. Replies
    Views

At least a week, prefer two weeks or more.
  11. Replies
    Views

I give my bindings at least a few weeks and usually at least a month before scraping/sanding flush after gluing with solvent-based glue. I build necks during that time. Celluloid basically shrinks...
  12. Replies
    Views

I'd give it at least 72 hours also. And the odor is a sign. Patience. You can speed it up a bit by putting it in front of a fan.
    If you level/scrape the bindings too soon, you're not saving...
  13. Replies
    Views

I would give it at least 72 hours, though I know some people only wait a day.
    Also, use your nose. Duco gives off an odor as it cures. If there's any hint of a lingering smell, wait longer.
    The...
  14. Replies
    Views

In The Masters Bench, the book from the National Music Museum on the work of John D'Angelico, Jimmy D'Aquisto and Paul Gudelsky, there is a sketch by D'Aquisto of an idea for an Avant Garde model...
  15. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  16. Replies
    Views

Three custom inlays.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: How to practice Circle of 5ths

a simple chord changing drill for those getting their swing rhythm chops or cyclical dominants (seventh chords moving in fifths)together:

up high on the mandolin make an A7, as a three note...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: KM-1500 neck issue

There's no money above the 7th fret so you should be good.

Move it along as a project and see if you can get at least some of your money back.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Hidden D'Addario Micro Tuners....

I saw it and had to try it. I like it.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: A5 build plans

If you haven't seen it, Max and Laurie Girouard have been working on a Ms. Griffith copy and they have been posting the progress to a blog. It is interesting reading.

The Griffith Project
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Kelley A-V-5 advice needed

If you have a question for the builder regarding the warranty then perhaps it might be best to take that up with him or perhaps the person you bought it from. There's no reason for this to continue...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Kelley A-V-5 advice needed

I don't see this as an issue with the original builder. Mortice and tenon joints like this have been used for hundreds of years without any dowels. It is a well proven and tested design.

It was...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The Gibson No.6069

Thanks for all the great feedback. I've found someone locally that I believe can fix the issue. @Ginridge, good luck on getting everything fixed with yours.

I thought I would add a few...
  24. Replies
    Views

A couple of new instruments

An F style mandolin of Sitka and quilted big-leaf maple. Ebony fretboard and head overlay with the new Schaller tuners and an Allen tailpiece. The other is a 21" scale five course cittern for GDAea...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mildewed Instruments

I recently used an ozone generator, to de-mildew several vintage cases. Seemed to work well. One needs to be able to isolate the generator, to avoid breathing the ozone.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4