Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

I have several commercial touch up markers, not sure if any are Minwax. They are basically felt tip markers with a fancy name and price.

If this was my project, and a Sharpie didn't match closely...
  2. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Simon DS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

Quite important to listen, I mean extremely important to listen when playing, you’ll notice this in a session, later on at night…

However YES! there are a number of situations where it’s important...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Eternal beginner for almost 30 years

The world of music is enormous but like all things that are huge, it's easier to get a handle on something by breaking it down into smaller increments. You seem to already know what you don't want --...
  4. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

I would leave it be. That instrument has now been marked as your own and will carry the tale to whomever gets it after you.

Jamie
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

Consider it a battle scar and keep playing the Hades out of it, Sue! Pick marks and dings happen…you just need to come up with a better story for how the ding happened! Rhino attack while on photo...
  6. Re: Identifying Flatiron Festival Build Location/ Avoiding Import

I took her home today, she's great! Thank you all for your help and input.
  7. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

The SOL I’ve had since new just has very thin black paint for a ‘binding’, and I’ve touched it up a few times with whatever black paint - usually enamel was handy. For such a thin area, if you do...
  8. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/TipsTricks/SteinwayKit/steinway.html
    The Steinway touchup kit.
  9. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

I have had good luck with furniture touch-up markers. Think camouflage. Start with brown, then add black as needed. I get the best results applying dots of color, rather than a single swipe....
  10. Replies
    Views

You can also use the marker, and wipe it immediately after applying it. It will be less shiny and more dull, let the polish give it the shine. This way you can build up the black also. If it has a...
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm afraid that my misses often outnumber my hits. I call a 95% match a bulls-eye. Dead center. I don't get those often.
    The older I get, the more I cringe over touch-up work and try to talk...
  12. Re: How to touch up chips in SOL painted binding

Color matching is a rather difficult skill, and for me, at least, it can be hit or miss.
    Hobby stores often carry small containers of paint for model makers. A handful of those and some scrap to...
  13. Replies
    Views

You have three options:

1. Touch it up with some black paint formulated for model work from a hobby shop. This would only be a "cover-up," and how good it looks would depend on your skill with a...
  14. Re: Thank Mando Cafe and people.. got a mandolin!

Ok.. came in under that 800 stretch brand new. 213114
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbee Introduction

Bud,

You are one inspiring dude, go get 'em!

Rob
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolin mandolin

I’ll be nearby soon and will have to check it out. Always willing to look at a Strad-O-Lin, although, this one sounds like maybe a bit overpriced. Will try and take some photos to share. On...
  17. Replies
    Views

New Mahogany Flatback Mandolin

The latest mandolin off my 'Barn Cat Mandolins' bench is something a little different for me. I've given it a slightly wider, rounder body shape than my usual Moggy model mandolin, and its ribs and...
  18. Thread: RIP Dickey Betts

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Dickey Betts

This song was my introduction to the Allman Brothers. Here is a version with Dickey front and center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmetEMv7SfQ
  19. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Hey, good for you and all the best!

Sue, what you describe about your school music experience is what I complain about...music ed that never addresses the basic issues of the inner ear.

Instead...
  20. Re: I knew that bolt action Mandola wouldn't last long!

I wonder if D'Addario or Thomastik make ammunition for it.
  21. Replies
    Views

Conversations here too often posit this as an either / or proposition which I find both amusing and saddening in equal measures.

In this case "versus".

I started off learning by ear and...
  22. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

That depends on how you were taught to read standard notation...which in the Italian tradition was a way to sing before you were ever given an instrument.

So I disagree, learning to sight-sing...
  23. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Dan in NH
    Replies
    Views

Coming to mandolin from guitar, there is a faction that is vehemently anti-standard notation. This same faction is also usually anti-music theory.

It comes from the guitar’s roots as a folk...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hi, Sue—

Not a pro. Been playing guitar for over fifty years and mando for over five. I can't read dots at all and don't like tab. Play by ear is all I do. So it doesn't seem like you have a ways...
  25. Replies
    Views

If by "dots" you mean standard notation, then I'm in a similar place with the mandolin. I find the notation to be easier to sight read and to gain a broader understanding of the piece of music. The...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4