Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Now that is a statement which could be totally subject to misinterpretation. At least I hope so. :disbelief:
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

For sure. So come on Greg, write a song about wastin' away in Minnesnowda, searching for your lost tater tot casserole recipe, or something like that. :))
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Mandolin

In analyzing my own MAS I have come up with a "tractor-beam" theory of incremental helplessness. This all began in the 80's when the late great Gordon Stone let me try his Stelling Bellflower: "oh,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Stelling riding into the sunset

Bought my first Stelling banjo last year, a rare Longhorn from the 1990's with the "Pete Seeger" extended neck. Wanted it enough to trade in my seldom-used Gibson '50's F-5 for it.

Gig a couple...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Have Too Many Instruments?

Well, I know that whenever I succeed in kicking one out, it leaves a vacuum. A powerful vacuum. But as we all know, nature abhors a vacuum, and my cave is a perfect laboratory in which to observe...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

The analogy doesn't work for me. If Mr. Bolt is racing against a bunch of elementary kids, then yes, him racing would be rather boring. And not much fun for the kids who were wanting to race each...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

So it's Pete Seeger this time. Well, I trust my own memory, having read Alan Lomax's article in Esquire magazine, and, yes, here it is:...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading mandolin music score by NOT using TABS

If you're into folk tunes you can go to Nigel gatherer's wonderful collections and choose the standard notation option.
    http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tow.html He really has put an absolute...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thinking of buying a second mandolin

Yes. I have three:

1) play what you have until you can afford something better, not something different. A lot of us spun our wheels buying a number of equivalent mandolins, perhaps losing...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 vs. Gibson F5 vs. Collings MF5

If an old friend speaks to me, it is generally because they have forgotten our last encounter.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT2 Review

I got a mandolin from TMS and for 8-9 months was too terrified to make any adjustments to it. After all, they were known for doing quality setups and, at that time, I knew even less about mandolins...
  12. Thread: Rag mandolins

by Stopstop
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rag mandolins

I got myself #29 (built in 2017) for a Christmas present last January. It is a Carpathian & maple french polished F. I went to his shop, got the tour and played the 8-10 he had there. Nice guy &...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New case option

I'm always trying to figure out how to get the cases off the floor. I hadn't considered mounting them to the ceiling.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: mayhem in the music room

Col. Mustard with the candle stick, in the music room.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music

Another anniversary for this celebrated day in my 'hood. Plans for a beer on the porch tonight and a few late night trashy mandolin tunes steps away from Mandolin Cafe headquarters. I love history.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

Of course. Why would you ask that here?
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Abramusic Mandolin

I am convinced that these builders put those holes on instruments as a sort of luthier joke.

"Ehi, Luigi. Mettiamo questi buchi nella parte superiore e infiliamo questi occhielli in essi. Un...
  18. Thread: Collings

by Mandolin Cafe
    Replies
    Views

Re: Collings

Your question answered.

Over and over and over... If you'd like we can add about 50 more threads to that list.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Resisting the "Iron Maiden"

The problem I have practicing with a metronome is it slows down on the easy part and speeds up on the hard parts.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

I bar a lot, so four-string chords usually take three fingers.

Keep in mind, though, that I really don't know what I'm doing.
  21. Thread: the addiction...

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: the addiction...

Here is how I break it down: Say you buy a $2000 mandolin. Now lets say you are so stoked you play it for two hours a day, for 300 days of the year. That is 600 hours. Comes to $3.33 per hour. Now...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Mandolin Picture

So...anyone sit in with you to jam?:grin:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin chords chart in standard notation

Would be interesting to take a chord in standard notation, and show all humanly possible ways of playing it on a mandolin. I would be surprised if there were any chords with more than 3 chord shapes....
  24. Collings MT Gloss Top, Top Binding and Wide Nut-- Waiting!

I am the one who grabbed the above 2017 Collings that is now listed as "pending". Mint for $800 less than street price! I am excited. Set to arrive Wednesday. Thanks Avenue Guitars for your great...
  25. Re: Taylor V-class bracing - No direct mando content

So, mgap, are confirming the old saw
    “That which is old, is new again?”
    And I agree, there will be the nay sayers no matter what and there will be flag wavers.
    I’m not going to go out and snap...
Page 1 of 2 1 2