Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Flattop Mandolin Bridge Height?

I have just measured the bridge height of the first Army Navy style of mandolin I made and it comes to 16mm, and that is the height I aim for. That mandolin is a direct copy of an original, so that...
  2. Replies
    Views

a flatiron pancake came through a local guitar store. with stock bridge, action mile high, a cheese slicer. to fix, either a 1mm tall bridge or a neck reset. no truss rod. accept a tall bridge as a...
  3. Thread: Carter Vintage

by Rashi63
    Replies
    Views

Carter Vintage

Took a trip to Nashville yesterday and went to Carter Vintage. I just can’t say enough about how amazing that place is - especially the staff. Kim Sherman deserves a special shout out. I went home...
  4. Replies
    Views

Assuming it's one of these two you looked at. Not much difference than my 1921 A style as far as height goes.
  5. Replies
    Views

It will all be dependent on the particular instrument. Like Eric said above, all of his different flat top mandolins have different bridge heights. It is primarily dependent on how high off the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Just an observation - it is possible the one on Reverb had the neck set back a bit to allow for a higher bridge.

Don't know about heights for Gibson models, but the last Flatiron owned had a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my 1915 A-model Gibson need a new neck?

The headplates on the old Gibsons are dyed mystery wood, and have a way of falling apart when subjected to any kind of mechanical action.

Similar veneers and fingerboards were also used on many...
  8. Re: 1911? Calvert-Parker Bandola: Repair or Wall Hanger?

These have been discussed before https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/151799-Bandola-Calvert-Parker

Jim Garber has one, a little more upscale than this one, so perhaps he will weigh in. The...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad Experience on the Classifieds

In another life, I collected a couple dozen guitars, several of which (a dozen or so) I bought on eBay. In fact, I was cruising for guitars when I found the very first mandolin that I couldn’t...
  10. Replies
    Views

I've been selling musical instruments on eBay for over 20 years with over 4000 feedbacks -- all positive. For me, it is common sense -- you simply try to treat people the way you want to be treated....
  11. Replies
    Views

You got the instrument back, apparently in pretty much the same condition as when it left your shop. That's good.
    You haven't indicated that you have had any problems with your bank account being...
  12. Re: Northfield post on social media and their email newsletter

Nah, they bought Gibson and now they're making 8 string Les Pauls.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Quilted maple in Washington

FWIW
    Here is a pic of one of the latest builds by Tyler White. He was able to pick up a pretty amazing piece of wood from @laroseguitars. 207950
    He often has some amazing wood for sale.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sealing colours under lacquer

Shellac used to be considered the universal undercoat/overcoat, being compatible with nearly any other finish. It still is... sort of... but I, as well as others, have been bitten by the assumption...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

First coat of varnish.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Finished up the inlay last night and excited to at last see this HS veneer shining in its place!