Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: TablEdit is back!

My thanks to Larry for the work he's done over the years maintaining this remarkable resource and for his exceptional programming skills in creating this. Dan set up access for this on the server a...
  2. Replies
    Views

TablEdit is back!

Mandozine was hosting a wonderful collection of TablEdit files for mandolin, but as you are probably aware it has not been reliable lately. The site went offline at the beginning of 2019, was...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fisher's Hornpipe // One Man Jam Session

Very nice!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Fisher's Hornpipe // One Man Jam Session

GREAT playing !!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Sciota // One Man Jam Session

Great playing!
  6. Replies
    Views

Adrian Gross - 8th of January

Here’s the “8th of January.” For anyone out there looking to explore fiddle tunes and all things mandolin, give me a shout at adrian@adriangross.ca to take some lessons. If you’re looking to fulfill...
  7. Replies
    Views

Excellent! Love the twin mandolin harmony. Got it going on in the studio! I’ve been trying to work out the harmony on Brilliancy and it’s kicking my butt. Fun trying though.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

3 and 4 chord swing tunes are a good place to start. Western swing has lots of those, so that may be a good way in. Easy trad jazz (aka Dixieland) is a good way too.
  9. Replies
    Views

I agree with starting out by listening - what you want to play, listen closely so that you can internalize the substance of what you wish to attain in your playing. The few who have taken the route...
  10. Replies
    Views

Autumn Leaves is fine, so is All of Me, Lady Be Good, Exactly like You, Minor Swing or Swing 42. Depends on where you want to go.

The Charlie Parker route might start with My Little Suede Shoes...
  11. Replies
    Views

Very cool, Hayes! Love the harmony section.

When I got ready to learn Big Sciota several years ago, I purchased the sheet from btlmusicnotes.com from your predecessor Nick there. Both you guys are...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiny Moore Tuesday

Welcome back, Hayes, great break. That tune I’ve played as a straight Rag with double stops. Perhaps I should incorporate some Tinyisms.
    Thanx & Happy New Year,
    Joe B
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Here are comping ideas for Right or Wrong. I wrote these as quarter, half and whole notes to make reading easier, so use your own jazz timing ideas with these voicings.

14. Replies
    Views

That's not quite the story that I heard -- I'm sure he picked up stuff from many sources. The version I heard is that he transcribed these solos in the belief that they were played on the guitar. It...
  15. Replies
    Views

Great solo Hayes, very nice playing and I really like your sound too! Lots of bebop type lines in that.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Here is the next video, a chording device Barry calls "borrowing". It is taking a sixth diminished chord and borrowing notes from the diminished above or below in the sixth diminished chord/scale...
  17. Replies
    Views

Nice jazz blues tune with a lot of soulful licks, even without a pedal. You know I'll get the tab & appreciate all of these gems!
  18. Replies
    Views

Another great one. Love this Bob Wills segment, led by Haggard, from the special. Some years back, I was able to snag the audio of the Wills set off Youtube, then divide up the medley into separate...
  19. Replies
    Views

These are great Hayes! Thanks so much for what you're doing.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman's Jazz Mandolin series

Yes, the Coker book is great for learning modern jazz. Just don't forget to learn how to play the chord changes/chord arpeggio method too - it helps you make sense of the chord/scale method.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman's Jazz Mandolin series

I have other books and tapes. The ones by Sam Bush and the Mel Bay books by Jethro Burns. They are pretty good but I think the best one I have is Bluegrass Up The Neck by Niles. There are things...
  22. Replies
    Views

The ever-inventive Danny Knicely

From a pre-covid concert - Caravan - Danny mandolin, John Previti bass, Amie Curl vocals & guitar, Baakari Wilder - tap percussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGm8HO66_2Q
  23. Replies
    Views

Hayes, this series is SO well done. My hat is off to you.
  24. Re: Comping Howard & Jethro's Blues transcription

Thanks, Roland, for taking the time to transcribe my part.

Jethro loved the Count Basie sound, which is what we were after on that track. He enjoyed playing their ensemble parts in a chordal style...
  25. Re: Comping Howard & Jethro's Blues transcription

Here's another version you can play for another chorus...it has the same turnaround pattern of cycling in 5ths.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RVq3Fhsn9OjmmlhqpC1kC8wTSM8rQWmr?usp=sharing
Page 1 of 2 1 2