Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

Congrats! I think you made a great choice and there’s no need to start shopping around. I enjoyed reading about your lightbulb moment and although I don’t have a 1919, I absolutely agree with AllenH.
  2. Re: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

I have a 1950 Martin A mandolin that I purchased back in 1979. It's a peach, but you might want to do yourself (but not your wallet) a favor and check out a Collings MT mandolin. They are louder,...
  3. Re: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

Those little mahogany Martin mandolins are underrated gems, IMHO. I have a 1919 Style A and, while it's not a bluegrass "cannon," it's a sweet-sounding, easy-to-play instrument. Vintage Martin A's...
  4. Re: NMD 1935 Martin A-Style (and a 'lighbulb moment'!)

That's great, that you have a new love that has been fully requited! That looks like a great mandolin and I hope you can immerse yourself in mandolin playing and mandolin driven music to further...
  5. Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

I assume that’s also a very young looking Paul Brady playing his Yamaha FG-180 - those wre the days!
  6. Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

Thanks for that old video.

Very cool !
  7. Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

Looks to be an earlier Gibson A. You should be able to find one of those (or an A Jr.) if you look enough. An A Jr. is even more plain looking than the regular A. But they should sound very similar....
  8. Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

It's a style A from before 1917, when they started staining them brown. An A1 would have the Gibson logo in pearl on the peghead.
  9. Re: Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

I would say that it is an A-1. I have one and I highly recommend it for your style.
    I would also recommend to be patient and a bit cautious when buying one. You’re dealing with a hundred year old...