Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What's GDAE and audible in a session?

I’m wondering if the session is just too darn big and you and the music might be better served by finding a smaller one
  2. Re: Anybody ever make tuner buttons out of Fimo?

Sue,
    Nothing in your posts over the past year suggests any serious misbehavior. Maybe on the strength of having been a good girl all year, if new tuners showed up on your Christmas list, Santa would...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony Batwing prices?

Having owned one in the late 1970s, I can say with a high degree of confidence that something other than playability and tone would motivate a buyer at any price
  4. Replies
    Views

Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

I saw it in The Irish Times this morning that Shane MacGowan has passed away. He had a fine voice, was a great interpreter of songs and a fine song writer to my way of thinking.I’ll pull out the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Tell me about radius

So, I’m planning on contracting a custom build soon, and of course will consult with the builder on these matters but I’m wondering if you builders can explain the ins and outs of radius for me. So,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

If you spend $1000 and have a $1200 mandolin, aren’t you coming out ahead?
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice with a Mirror

Regarding Jill’s earlier point about “red light syndrome”: being a beginner with the only exposure to an audience of any kind being my teacher during on line lessons, I have found video recording of...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Bodhran players

For those who might be interested, The Milwaukee Irish Fest Summer School, has beginning, intermediate and advanced Bodhrán lessons starting next week, August 14-18. Classes are with Scott ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chicago refret

I’m not good at names, but for serious work of any type, I’d go up to Evanston and the Guitar Works.
  10. Re: Kalamazoo Gibson A-12 PROJECT label says Master Model :disbel

Being not skilled enough to deserve an F-5 or too cheap (me as well as you) is the reason Eastman and Kentucky exist
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ear Training Apps

Thank you to all.
    I think I’m going to start with Functional Ear Trainer as getting a better sense of relative pitch seems to be a logical starting point.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

So, how old will you be in a couple years if you don’t get it?
    But I get what you are saying. I’m 68 and considering ordering a mandolin that would probably get built in 6 months but I’ve only been...
  13. Re: A few YouTube videos which have impressed me recently...

Thank you Aidan, the videos paired nicely with my morning coffee.
    The Fox on the Town set is really inspiring, I’m going to finish my scone and head to the practice room.
    The Swallowtail Jig, is...
  14. Re: Lost in my search of a mandolin for classical music

I’m not at all knowledgeable about classical instruments. But, while doing my own shopping for an instrument to play Irish Trad on a couple years ago, Nate Roberts video of Classical Improvisation...
  15. Re: Neck heel crack repair on beater mandolin?

Kdird,

You have a perfectly valid reason and your wife’s blessing to get a new mandolin. Those stars don’t line up in the universe very often. The money can be found. Get thee to the mandolin...
  16. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

So, on first hearing I thought “ yeah, those are the same”. But applying my hybrid tab system the differences seem immediate and fairly substantial although the number of measures that are...
  17. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

Aidan,
    Well, it’s helped me to learn the fretboard— at least in the first position which I suppose is all I will ever need. Referring back to your start of the tab vs by ear discussion
    and the way...
  18. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

204180In my youth, long before electronic tuners, my initial frustration with playing guitar was simply getting tuned-up by ear. A big part of many failed attempts to learn was probably lack of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Ye Vagabonds tour USA and a question

It was a very entertaining show! Only 2 problems: the missus promptly laid claim to the t- shirt and now I want a tenor guitar
  20. Re: Recommendation for mandolin lessons in USA

Pops1
    I’ve been visiting Viroqua for years fly fishing. Often staying at the Hickory Hill, above the fly shop or at the campgrounds in Avalanche or Osofea. I haven’t taken in any local music. This...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommend me some Irish folk bands

Ye Vagabonds (Bri’an and Diarmuid Mac Gloinn)
  22. Replies
    Views

How to “woodshed”

In September I turn 68.
    I’m going to work (psychologist) for 2 more years but I’m going to be cutting back. I’m taking a little sabbatical September 15 to October 15(last day of trout season) I’m...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bouzouki at Shopgoodwill

I saw that this morning, too.
    I was tempted to bid as I thought it might be worth a bid to play some Trad on and for the DeArmond pickup. But I’m not going to bid because I’m trying to save up for a...
  24. Re: If Northfields are so amazing, why so many for sale on cafe?

I’ve had a Calhoun for almost a year and 4 months. In the past I had a Weber Y2K and a Flatiron Performer A. I’d say the Calhoun is a superior instrument to the others for me at this time.When I...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Private Lesson Expectations

I take live lessons over Zoom. My teacher plays the tune then we go through it bar by bar. He plays a bar and tells me the notes. I try to play it back and write it out. He tells me the notes, I...
Page 1 of 2 1 2