Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Saving for an octave

Having gone through four OMs in 6 months: you're on the right track with a GBOM. If that's the sound you want, nothing else will get it for you.

But, you won't really know if you enjoy playing...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: custom case quest

On the home page, the Crossrock Case Co. is getting into the double case market. You might contact them and see if they will make one for you.
  3. Thread: Orchestra

by mrmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: Orchestra

A lot of orchestras are in need of more mandola players, so if you have a viola background that's always an option (provided, of course, that you can get your hands on a mandola).

Given the...
  4. Thread: Orchestra

by Jim Imhoff
    Replies
    Views

I was an experienced choral musician and teacher, and started mandolin in my late 60's. So the note reading came easy, but my aging fingers were the initial problem. I had never seriously played a...
  5. Thread: Orchestra

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Playing with a mandolin orchestra and or a chamber group has been some of the most wonderful and rewarding musical experiences in my life.
  6. Thread: Orchestra

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

I played in the New York Mandolin Orchestra for a number of years. When I first started I could read music notation on mandolin rudimentarily but I got somewhat better as time went on. My background...
  7. Replies
    Views

I play with an orchestra and I think you should give it a try! Reading standard notation is essential but I see you’ve played viola and flute so that should help. Being able to find the notes on...
  8. Replies
    Views

I’ve played in one for four years now and love it. I was new to mandolin at the time, so the advice really depends on how much experience you do or don’t have with the instrument.

Know that it...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday to me - 6 days early

Happy Birthday.

Here is my opinion. I am still a beginner. You have more skills
    than I do. You can weight my comments with that.

I bought the Recording King tenor guitar to see if I might...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bassett Creek

Looks like it is a traditional tune, here is a video of Tim playing it in a gGDGD tuning.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmvYpoEo9nM

It would be easy to tune a mandolin GDGD and try to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Bassett Creek

Its Oldtime banjo. He is playing in the clawhammer style as opposed to the "Scruggs" three finger roll style. I am not familiar with the artist so not sure if the tune is traditional or original....
  12. Re: mass produced instruments & size variations

The Mandolin Store has an Eastman 304 and a Kentucky 272 listed on their site at the moment, the Eastman is $40 less. If the OP is waiting till Christmas there is a good chance she could find a used...
  13. Re: mass produced instruments & size variations

I'm at what the MCF considers a very low-end of the budget range - very low - it's just now I have a $50 Walmart special, and would like an oval hole step up from that. I play another instrument, so...
  14. Re: While nonmusicians post "You're not hungry, you're bored"...

Heady, buy one that is already set up. According to The Mandolin Store's website, they have both the 272 and the 276 (darker color) in stock. They will make sure it is well set up before they ship...
  15. Re: help not-quite-intermediate player put together a tune set

I would agree with all Aidan says here, Heady. Also, are you playing for an audience, for dancing ,or for yourself (and maybe a few fellow-players) for your own enjoyment?
    For dancing, and I am...
  16. Re: help not-quite-intermediate player put together a tune set

Hi. There is absolutely no reason why a tune set should comprise any more than two tunes if you’re happy that two tunes “say” all you want to say.

In fact, and this is merely a personal opinion,...
  17. Re: General question about an Ebay transaction

It is certainly worth contacting the seller and asking him to follow up. As a sometimes seller I would appreciate a polite inquiry on something like this.
  18. Re: I registered for a group class and am getting nervous

I took lessons at the Irish Arts Center in NYC when it first opened in the late 1970s. My suggestion is to contact the instructor and talk to him about your concerns and make him aware of what you...
  19. Re: I registered for a group class and am getting nervous

I admire the steps you're subjecting yourself to in order to learn. I've felt nervous in group lessons too. The stage between beginner and intermediate is a difficult one. You either take a class...
  20. Re: I registered for a group class and am getting nervous

Go have fun! Just remember to LISTEN to the music and fit in where you can. Even if you hardly play at all you’ll come away with a new set of tunes to learn, and you’ll eventually be able to...
  21. Re: I registered for a group class and am getting nervous

Go, have fun, don’t worry about it. I’d only been playing mando about a year when I realized I needed to put myself in classes at least one level above my current skill...I too did not need to hear...
  22. Re: I registered for a group class and am getting nervous

Good luck! Better to be nervous and in a group than content at home alone. I'm betting this will be a rewarding experience. Funny, I'm about 50 percent Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish, but you'd never...
  23. Re: Amateurish string change execution - can I keep, or is it rui

This reply is pasted directly from another thread, but the OP might profit from it here. The next time you change strings, try doing it this way instead, and you won't get any of those clunky...
  24. Re: Amateurish string change execution - can I keep, or is it rui

With the wound strings (G and D) there is usually plenty of leeway for slackening off the tension, reposition or trim if required, then re-tighten the tuners. It should be ok to do this so long as...
  25. Re: Amateurish string change execution - can I keep, or is it rui

You can probably just loosen it up and pull lightly with needle nose pliers to take out the slack. Then hold onto the string as you re-tighten. You should be fine. Good luck !!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3