Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Save or sell old piano? (Some mando content)

The couple players I've tickled were stiff and a little unpleasant, but still playable.

I can satisfy your curiosity about upright vs. grand. The grand is one big harp, with strings...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What to practice carving on for top?

Pine is fine. Requires really sharp gouges / chisels. I'm an all out hand wood worker and I actually have chisel and gouge sets with lowered angles especially for very soft woods. They are sharp...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Noob question playing in different keys

But you have landed on, perhaps, the best place to start learning how music works. And the answer will stick with you. This one is much easier than it looks, even if it doesn't map into words all...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin progression - rewarding?

Lot's of good advice, and probably about what your college-qualified brain has already thought out. I'll add one more. In my opinion ( and modern learning theory concurs ), there is tremendous...
  5. Re: Does a Gibson get any rarer than this? I don't think so!

This isn't my area, but I'm positive that Gibson made Banjo ukes which are labeled UB-1, then UB-2, and I think UB-5.

If I remember correctly, their Ukes were listed as U-1, U-2 and more. The...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Melody embellishment

I thought everybody would be talking here about ornaments. To my ear it's often the little decorations that make or break a song. Sitting at home going over a piece, I seek out the trills,...
  7. Re: Mandolins That Work Well With Extra Light Strings

Blue...
    I've been on a similar journey for a similar reason. The difference in finger forces between heavy and light strings isn't all that much. Especially the "shock" to the right thumb...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Prohibition Swing Club

i'll weigh in.
    LOVE your lead singer. Sometimes the editing is really distracting, sometimes it's awesome. My personal preference would be to take the editing down a notch, but keep the good...
  9. Thread: mad dick

by pointpergame
    Replies
    Views

Re: mad dick

Probably named at a time when it hadn't yet acquired the second meaning. Probably ditto for the spotted you know what dessert in the English cuisine.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: One Year With a Collings MT.

Caleb,
    You know, they make a Ukulele? You might consider getting one of each instrument to make a pretty little set.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Hygrometer help

If you're so inclined, there's an Arduino solution. ( The Arduino is a small all-in-one microcomputer board for electronics experimenters / educators ) While it takes a bit of programming and a...
  12. Re: Still working on swing rhythm mandolin.... but progressing

Many thanks for your thoughtful response. After a lifetime as a "folk" and singer-songwriter musician, Jazz is my next Mount Everest. While music theory is often hard to talk about, jazz...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmonizing

I recently took the MC's advice and bought the harmony cd Sue Thompson et. al. The way they put it for close harmony is to sing the closest note in the chord. So if the lead is singing the root,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Ratio of Price to Sound

...But! don't higher price and "better" sound correlate sometimes? 1) Lots of pikers love a mandolin's sound ( Loud?, sounds good in a certain genre? ) and that marque becomes well-regarded. In...
  15. Thread: Pancake

by pointpergame
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pancake

I'm also a Flatiron 1N owner. I don't hesitate to stuff it into a large suitcase for a vacation. I think it's a fantastic choice for travel given it's loudness and its dandy slim size. It's...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Krishot mandolins

AH: I had the same time flip reaction. Levity always good.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Ford's string winders at Gryphon

On the topic of who needs one: Those of us with arthritic fingers. Turning 8 buttons, say 10 half turns each to get the strings off then 20-40 half turns to put stings on equals 400 finger grip...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando picking hang ups. Need remedies

Bradley Laird has some picking exercises ( Google to find them ) with his insights to explain why and how to pursue them. They are precisely what you're asking for.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: what are you currently listening too

Great to play alone with, a strange and fantastic musician who always gives me a creative push: John Hartford.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: String winder

My slightly arthritic fingers would rather expend themselves playing music than winding strings. In my case, a string winder is a blessing.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Can any song be played in any scale?

Mobi,

I'd like to make two points to help you with your question. This is mentioned above, but embedded in other information. To the music theory superstars on the forum, I understand that this...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: TEFview help, please

1) I believe you can scale it in the printer pane...unfortunately, you have to scale overall. It would be great for us music printer-outers if we could scale in just width.

2) Why haven't...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: This mandolin is playable ?

The tuning posts might bind against the wood --- not for sure. So they might be harder to turn and the tuning might jump. But I'd say it's certainly playable.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Handheld digital recorders?

I also have a Sony PCM-M10 which my techno-challenged wifey can actually use in her musical pursuits. It is expensive. It sounds like the Zoom H-5 might trump it for connectivity and modernity. But...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

It would be a miracle if these chisels were of any use other than opening paint cans.
Page 1 of 2 1 2