Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

"I guess I have a few questions:

1. When does it become advantageous to adopt a thumb at the back of the neck play style? Is it based on how frequently you need to be shifting positions? Does...
  2. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

I recently made a post about getting a new Ochiai Mandola(tuned like an octave mandolin).

The scale length is 43.5 CM, or just a tad over 17 inches. The neck has a deep sharp V shape and is just...
  3. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

Your left-hand thumb will partly (largely?) be prescribed by the neck shape, perhaps more so than by scale length. Also consider, e.g., players of Roman-type mandolins (Sebastiaan de Grebber may...
  4. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

I have several 17 inch scale mandolas, nut varies from inch and 3/8ths to inch and a quarter, the width of the fret board does affect the left hand approach. I would say I tend to use the classical 3...
  5. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

I don’t play classical music nor style so I’m somewhat limited. :(
    I have an octave (20.5 inch) and have played it like a mandolin from day one.
    I’d say that this is definitely the way to play...
  6. Re: Mandola/Octave Mandolin thumb and hand Position

Some of your questions about fingering options may be found in Calace's "Metodo per liuto cantabile"

https://imslp.org/wiki/Metodo_per_liuto_cantabile%2C_Opp.85-88_(Calace%2C_Raffaele)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: New (bowl back) Mandola Day

"I wanted to share my wonderful experience with purchasing a bowl back Mandola from Ikegaku in Japan

I've been wanting to dip my toe into GDAE Mandola for a while, after reading Robert Margo's...
  8. Replies
    Views

Masataka HORI - Mandolin Channel

Many of you are likely familiar because the "owner" was one of the guest artists at this fall's CMSA convention (aside: I'm so looking forward to retirement and more time for personal travel...
  9. Replies
    Views

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Releasing my new album on Band Camp, all instrumental Mandolin ensemble music with an emphasis on Mandocello.

Once Upon a Stormy Morning

Here is the opening track via You tube

B3am4J5_fDI
  10. Replies
    Views

Etude Op.45 Nr.7 by Franz Wohlfahrt

My transcription of Etude Op.45 Nr.7 by Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884), originally written for violin but also useful in mandolin practice. In the preface to Etudes Op.45 the maestro says:
    If practiced...
  11. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  12. Replies
    Views

Etude Op.45 Nr.5 by Franz Wohlfahrt

My transcription of Etude Op.45 Nr.5 by Franz Wohlfahrt (1833-1884), originally written for violin but also useful for mandolin. In the preface to Etudes Op.45 the maestro says:
    If practiced...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Getting Started in 2024 - What's The Move?

Well friends, I ended up with a mando rather ahead of my anticipated schedule! After playing a handful of Eastmans and Kentuckys locally, a Northfield Calhoun appeared on Craigslist semi-locally. It...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Remember to play The Eighth of January today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HI2jSxyEOM

0HI2jSxyEOM
  15. John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

I took some correspondence lessons form John way back when. I recently came across the original sheets he mailed me. They were done in pencil. I decided to re-scan them and share here. Some nice...
  16. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  17. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Here is a single photo and 5 videos directly from Adrian showing their Qingdao, China Workshop now that you've seen some of the facilities in Marshall, Michigan.

18. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  19. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  20. Replies
    Views

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

This will probably be my last Christmas-related recording for the year. Here's a frantic version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, performed on my Weber octave mandolin.

Thanks for listening and...
  21. Replies
    Views

RIP Frank Ford

Gryphon Stringed Instruments has announced that Frank Ford passed away this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/gryphonstrings
  22. Replies
    Views

My ABC Transcription Tools

Since the demise of the mandolintab.net ABC converter at the end of 2022, I've developed a very feature-rich open-source ABC editor and PDF tunebook builder.

It is available at:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

HI Folks! Here's a beautiful mando must do.... Not my favorite backing track, but it'll do. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmile y: ...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2023 Gibson F-5G

Here are some pics
  25. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The individual that started this thread has been permanently banned from the Mandolin Cafe and Classifieds for posing as an interested party for a product and attempting to drum up enthusiasm for it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2