Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

A clue may be in the playing style. I do quite a bit of string bending - up by a semitone on occasions - and it may be that that the extra tension is sustainable on a .009 string, but not so...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Breaking A-Strings in CGDA tuning

My tenor is a 23" scale instrument - tuned CGDA - and I now always use a .009 gauge string for the A. I used to use .010 and found that they tended to break. The .009 string is very stable.

I use...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A reel on my new Herb Taylor tenor guitar!

Great playing - and what a sweet sounding instrument.

It'll be interesting to see how the face ages and matures.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bopping to Tom Tulley

Steady boy! :))
  5. Replies
    Views

Bopping to Tom Tulley

GuPGgH0POu4]Tom Tulley's Hornpipe

I play this tune at sessions and it always makes me want to bop around the room for sheer joy! It's been around in tune books since the late 18th century, is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Dança dos Montanheses

I was reading my favourite guitarist and guitar teacher Woody Mann's book "Just Play", in which he describes the people he considers his mentors - such as Reverend Gary Davis and Lennie Tristano -...
  7. Thread: Tenor Music

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Music

I play all sorts of stuff, as frequenters of this forum will probably know - but I've chosen this one because (a) it's out of my normal style and (b) I was very pleased to have been able to memorise...
  8. Thread: cgda tuning

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: cgda tuning

It's a bar pickup, Dave - here it is in action:

q2J74WONl7U]As Time Goes By
  9. Thread: cgda tuning

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: cgda tuning

Nice stuff, Dave - and very useful chords, all nicely played. Might have to get the solid "mandotenor" (5-string) out and have a crack at this one...
  10. Replies
    Views

High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling)

The inspiration to play this one came from Forum member Crisscross, who uploaded his uke version as part of the "Expressive Tenor Guitar" thread - thanks CC!

i9RXNe4cfas]High Noon
  11. Thread: Mrs Saggs

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mrs Saggs

Thanks JL - and I've just realised that I described Chris Wood as a melodeon player - I must have been thinking of Andy Cutting, the melodeon player with whom Chris has played - on fiddle, viola and...
  12. Thread: Mrs Saggs

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Mrs Saggs

A lovely tune written around 2010 by English melodeon player Chris Wood and now becoming very popular in sessions in the UK. It's in the key of G, and I'm playing it here with the melody recorded...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Expressive Tenor Guitar

That was great! I was looking forward to the "B" theme as well... :mandosmiley:
  14. Replies
    Views

The Expressive Tenor Guitar

I've put together a video showing some of the basic techniques that you can use to enhance a lead melody on tenor guitar. It includes things like, vibrato, ornamentation, portamento, phrasing and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Tenor Guitar Chord Book for free

Hi folks. As part of my teaching for various pupils, I've recently put together a basic tenor guitar chord book, which is freely available from my website at:
  16. Re: Mairi's Wedding - with guitar, bass & percussion

I've stripped the tenor guitar lead from the arrangement and uploaded the backing track here:

http://www.willflyguitar.com/tenor-backing-tracks.html
  17. Mairi's Wedding - with guitar, bass & percussion

Something a little different...

CLOGPFhL8eM]Mairi's Wedding

Mairi's Wedding (also known as Marie's Wedding, the Lewis Bridal Song, or Mairi Bhan) is a Scottish folk song originally written in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 17" Scale, has anyone heard of one?

As it happens, I had a 5-string mandolin/tenor sold electric instrument made for me - as an experiment - by my luthier buddy Ian about 5 years ago. It was one of our mutual "buy 2, get 1 free" deals...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Tunebook (CGDA) updated

Quite right Greg - the "wrong" version got included by mistake!

I've now corrected it - and reloaded the book with the CGDA version of "La Mer". I might put the Chicago version up separately on...
  20. Replies
    Views

Tenor Guitar Tunebook (CGDA) updated

Just a quick note to say that I've revised and updated my free Tenor Guitar Tunebook - up from 41 tunes to 51 tunes.

As before - just stuff I've liked over the years.
  21. Thread: Honeysuckle

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Re: Honeysuckle

Always a great favourite of mine, and I play it regularly at gigs with my buddy Chris on guitar.

Sweet take on it, David - thanks.

Cheers,

Will
  22. Replies
    Views

Tenor guitar backing tracks - CGDA tuning

Hi folks. Picking up on a remark I made in my latest ("Blue Moon") video, I've just started to create backing tracks for some of the tenor guitar stuff I've done on YouTube. The tracks are taken from...
  23. Thread: Blue Moon

by WillFly
    Replies
    Views

Blue Moon

I've played Richard Rodgers' classic "Blue Moon" on guitar for years (and can be overheard singing the Marcels' doo-wop version to myself when no-one's listening!), but thought I'd do a simple...
  24. Re: Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

I don't know offhand what strings to use with that scale length and GDAE tuning. I once tried a GDAE tenor banjo set on my old Windsor 1930s tenor banjo - and they flapped around like spaghetti! So I...
  25. Re: Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

This is a topic that crops us regularly - here and elsewhere - and I get quite a few emails asking about just that question. There's a correlation between scale length, tuning and string gauge which...
Page 1 of 2 1 2