Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I’m new at this. 3D printed test saddle and bridge for APC octave mandolin with a slightly sunken cedar top. The plastic bridge and saddle were used to test action, compensation, string spacing, and...
  2. Replies
    Views

How to pack an instrument for shipping

Tony Williamson put this video together for a seller who had no experience shipping a valuable instrument. We thought it was well done and had great information that it should be available to all for...
  3. Replies
    Views

Thank, Skip!

Here's a little comparative anatomy with the current Sorensen VX and V5 scrolls --

Steve
  4. Replies
    Views

Beautiful work Steve! It’s good to see what you are doing with some incredible quilt! Nice scroll too!
  5. Replies
    Views

It's nice to be back in the wood mode after a roller coaster detour into carbon fiber!

Here is a new variation of the Sorensen VX with a F5-ish scroll ... so I guess its a Sorensen "V5". I really...
  6. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

I love the whiteface A3s. It was an extraordinarily creatively fertile period at the Kalamazoo factory, and there's something about the ivory finish when its clean and complete that's just shimmers...
  7. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

Nice having a matching set like that. One of the reasons I have my 1916 H-2 mandola is that someone I knew had to sell some instruments, one of which was this. He had two, but the other one was part...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Who makes a wound A string?

I have the same issue. Thomastics seem to be the only viable option. Those other brands might be ok if you live in Europe, but for the rest of us Thomastics are the only ones readily available. I...
  9. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Last week the top brace repair was completed by Tom Crandall and I went back to the city and picked it up at the shop. We raised the action a bit and it sounded and played great. I asked Tom what...
  10. Re: RECOVERED: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Solid argument to made for including an Apple AirTag with an instrument being shipped. I'd put it inside the case, and hidden if possible. Lots of stories in the news about luggage recovered in this...
  11. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  12. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

I played one of those at Gryphon a few months ago, and it was tremendous! It sounded more like the Artist F5, but was priced in between the standard F5 and the Big Mon.
  13. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

It's really great to finally get to see the shop in China! Thank you Adrian for sharing!
    Great instruments being built by real folks who obviously care and are putting real heart and soul into their...
  14. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Here is a single photo and 5 videos directly from Adrian showing their Qingdao, China Workshop now that you've seen some of the facilities in Marshall, Michigan.

15. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

There was a Big Mon F in the downtown showroom and it was quite nice, a true bluegrass kind of sound to my opinion. To answer if some were being built, not 100% sure about an A version. Don't think...
  16. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

In a word. How thrilling to be surrounded by, embedded with, awash in mandolins. :mandosmiley: And to be able to spend time talking with people so well-versed in all manner of mandolins, all aspects...
  17. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

One more observation about Northfield before commenting and a few pics of Elderly Instruments. Of all of the NF mandolins I played I really fell in love with one of the Artist series models. But the...
  18. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Northfield shop, but couldn't resist a 5-bar Artist model (Italian top, tortoise binding, wide nut) that was included in a recent email when they made a...
  19. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

It definitely is. :)

I visited the showroom a month ago, on a side trip from Ann Arbor, where my daughter now lives. I made an appointment with Derek to play the Quickstep and the EleOcto. The...
  20. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Thanks for sharing some behind the scenes moments for those of us a bit too far away to visit! Definitely agree that chatting with Adrian is a wonderfully enlightening experience. I was lucky to have...
  21. Replies
    Views

Finishing up the varnish on this octave210923
  22. Replies
    Views

I finished up the woodwork today and got to staining. It’s now in the uv box while the sealer coat dries210608210609
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Happy 28th. I wanted to see what MC looked like at the beginning but the best I could find is this from 1997:

24. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Dangit, it snuck up on me again this year. Ah for the sound of the blazing 14.4K modem and the computer that might have had 32 MB of RAM, though I doubt it did.
  25. Replies
    Views

Timelapse of building the body of a Brescian/Cremonese mandolin:
    dB-r5-VVvS8
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4