Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Any idea what this is?

Not sure how many people will get that but I do. But you mean "Wishnevsky" right?

https://www.amazon.com/How-Hippies-Ruint-Hillbilly-Music/dp/1520595840

:))
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

I really don't need to get into discussing this further and I'm already on record stating the decision is not going to be an invitation for a public forum on opinions. The banjo community has been...
  3. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Very playable 1906 F-4.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Lovely Torch & Wire Blonde F4 on Reverb

Yes. Gibson was not fastidious about using up old parts first when they implemented a new design for the part.
    You might say that they just threw the parts into the same bin, and the workers pulled...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Lovely Torch & Wire Blonde F4 on Reverb

Yes, the finish does look remarkably clean...
    a. to have been in that case all it's life
    b. to have frets so worn they need replacing

Some some wavy top grain BTW!
  6. Thread: Riddle

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Riddle

I just came across a riddle of interest to our crowd. A "true riddle" is a metaphorical description of something. The riddler provides the description. Others must guess what the riddler is...
  7. Replies
    Views

1920 Gibson F4

Just picked up this beauty of a 1920 F4, refurbished by Binghamton NY luthier Tom Dobrovich, who specializes mostly in vintage Gibson Guitars, he glued the top just above the tail piece, replaced the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

'Seems like it is the year of old F4s around here. Here is another beautiful one with original inlaid tuner Handel buttons in for a visit and some bench time.
  9. Replies
    Views

A quick photo of the back of a flat-back I am just now finishing. This is Black Walnut from a limb crotch and looks even better in person. The sides are from the same piece and have nice flaming. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Not vintage at all, but it's very pretty and the client loves it to death...
    2018 Gibson Firebird Elite just needed new strings and a setup.
    He's very happy with it now.
  11. Thread: 1931 Fern

by journeybear
    Replies
    Views

Re: 1931 Fern

Hey slimt - For future reference, to delete a pic in this thumbnail mode, it's a bit complicated, but you'll get used to it with practice. You have to go to Advanced, then Manage Attachments. Click...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Sealing a sprayed sunburst

Keep your layer of shellac sealer as thin as you can. I've never had problems with very thin shellac sealer coats under lacquer, but thicker shellac coats can cause problems with lacquer. I usually...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Sealing a sprayed sunburst

slimt - yes, no problem. I just finished the sunburst last night (attempt number 4) so it is ready for lacquer. As you can tell by my question, I am still a novice at this, but as you can see from...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Poe mandolin question.

Andy is a pretty meticulous builder. I don’t think anyone in the business makes a better Army-Navy pancake.
  15. Replies
    Views

I have Poe #71....you can see it on his website Poestrings....it is a fabulous mandolin that just gets better with age. Andy lives about 2 hours away and I purchased a 2 pt that he had for sale and...
  16. Replies
    Views

I know Andy Poe started out under the name of Driftwood Mandolins. I've seen a few of them. They look beautiful!
  17. Replies
    Views

When I saw Mandolin Orange in North NJ 5-6 years ago, Andrew Marlin was playing a Poe. It should be in some of their earlier videos. WAY nice, in my humble opinion!
  18. Replies
    Views

Here's one that's currently on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandolin/324487300593?hash=item4b8cf345f1:g:ViYAAOSwVD9gKowT
    It looks tempting.
    I used to own a Poe F-4 copy that was first rate in...
  19. Re: Virzi inquiry - Models offered? Tonal effect?

They give people something to disagree about.:))
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Virzi inquiry - Models offered? Tonal effect?

They mute any sympathetic vibrations of those parts of the strings between bridge and tailpiece and, occasionally, nut ant tuners. The A2Z has them but the A4 doesn’t.

This has been discussed...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about A2 Gibson Snakeheads.

Also a handful of 20's F-2's I've seen with tortoise back binding-pretty neat.
  22. Replies
    Views

I have (by the specs) a black A-2 from 1923. However the label says "A-". Not sure why that was but as far as I know there were no black A-2Zs or at least they were not labelled that way. When I...
  23. Replies
    Views

A-2Z in the classifieds...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/162972#162972

NFI
  24. Replies
    Views

Some A-2s have tortoise binding on back. ive seen a couple but not too common.
  25. Replies
    Views

Differences: Most A-2's have a Sheraton Brown finish, single binding, and a plainer rosette. A-2Z's have a blonde finish, a double bound top, and a fancier rosette with an ivoroid center ring. ...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4