Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Why an “Entry Level” mandolin?

This is true. For example, if one likes mandolins that are optimum for the various jobs they are to do -one for bluegrass, one for traditional Irish and Scottish, maybe one for old time, one for...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Documenting my journey

Good luck oldsoldier181. When I was learning I found that after I got some chord positions down and became somewhat familiar with the neck, that playing along with some of my favorite CD's was...
  3. Replies
    Views

Record yourself. Its an eye opener in both directions:)

And fun to listen to later down the line.
  4. Replies
    Views

One great way to document the journey, for me at least, is with videos. They don't have to be fancy productions, although that can be a fun hobby too. I've been participating in the Tune of the Month...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Please define “intermediate”

At our Fiddle Hell Festival, whether in person or online, attendees self-assess their levels to decide what workshops and jams to attend. Here's what we tell them (and note that the same person can...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Please define “intermediate”

@oldsoldier181
    At five or six years now, I'm still just beginning. That's not to say I can't "settle in" and "feel comfortable" sometimes, I do sometimes. Also, sometimes the musicians I play with...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, an in person lesson!!

As one who takes in-person lessons, but who has taken a few Zoom lessons, in-person is best by leaps and bounds - at least for me. Fretboard Learn is a great app I encourage you to try.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, an in person lesson!!

oldsoldier181 there was post on a social media platform - "the best thing a musician can do is play with people who are better players than themselves" I couldn't agree more and posted that for me,...
  9. Re: Any atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's out there?

I'm not here to have that discussion but if you'd like to find like minded folks why not take a trip over to Facebook and create a group. You'll find like minded folks. Since you're not looking to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading music

Ya, Drowsy Maggie would be written the same for all Irish Trad melody instruments — the only difference is that guitar notation is written an octave higher than it sounds, meaning that if a classical...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions on a beginner "set list"

You might find yourself "taking a sip from a fire hose". Back in the 1990's in St. Paul I compiled a (growing) list of common tunes for our group that met every Sunday at O'Gara's pub. I ended up...
  12. Replies
    Views

Comhaltas's Foinn seisuns books offer a lot of the old standards in a stripped down version and a lot of players use either the individual tunes or the sets to get started on their own list. Many of...
  13. Replies
    Views

I would seek out a website for the jam session you were to be attending. They might post a tune list, or even have a downloadable PDF of the sheet music.
  14. Replies
    Views

Hi there. A few people have published lists of standards and I'll add a few links to the end of this post. The only issue with these lists is that once people start to get into the tunes properly,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: New player looking for instruction

Have you checked with Baron? He offers lessons through his Patreon site.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello, first time player here

Welcome to the cafe!

If you have a yearning for Celtic music and want to learn by ear check out this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/143019-2019-Tune-A-Week-Project

Many...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Hello, first time player here

Hello, oldsoldier181. Welcome to the club.

I would suggest learning to read standard musical notation first, rather than tablature. It will open up all kinds of playing opportunities for you. ...