Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

The blonde Monteleone Baby Grand at Carter Vintage really has it all going on...even more so without the arm rest and dots on the fretboard. What a master of design and craft.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Monel strings - what to do, what to do?

i use the Martins on a Stanley A5 and Gibson A9. They are about the same as the GHS version to my ears. A friend also prefers the Martins on his Lebeda F5.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Monroe Mandolin Camp Abington VA

Don - If i were going and brought #62, maybe we could've been the Stanley Brothers.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Griffith Tribute A5

A very sweet sounding mandolin. i really hope to hear more sound clips as it ages. 10 years ago Chris Stanley made a custom A5 with Griffith spec's, but with ebony fretboard and top binding, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How to hold the pick

FH - Thanks a big bunch for saying it better than i. In it there's plenty of good pick meat for new folks, heavy players, and everybody in between.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: How to hold the pick

This thread is pretty long and maybe I overlooked something about Wayne Benson's YouTube video on holding the pick. It's quite informative and he shows the process in video of how his old grip...
  7. Re: Treating Trigger Finger - My First Cortisone Injection

The cortisone/lidocaine injections are worth a try if you tolerate them well. Sadly, it's not a fix for most folks, but a lot less expensive than an A1 pulley release in the OR. I had my index...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Picks !

ph - i got one of the Reischman's w/ his left hand bevel. Since so many jazz guitarists also play with the back edge (left-handed to a righty) i thought it wouldn't be a big deal to make that...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

Gotta say, to my eyes, this is the best looking junior i've seen.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F with new style headstock

Kind of a blend of Stelling, Monteleone and Gretch lightbulb. Being from VA, I almost always like things the way they were instead of the way they are now. It often takes 3 of us to get the job...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identify this wood

A decade or so ago, Fender made some acoustic guitars in Mexico with wood that looked just like this. They called it "Mexican Rosewood". It was on a jumbo with a pleasing sound/volume and played...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: potato chip casein picks

Mando&Me - There seems to be more interest in this, so feel free to post your casein pick straightening method here on this thread!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin advice

i remember wanting every mandolin family instrument. The mandola was well made and good sounding for a mandola, which was the problem - it wasn't different enough from the mandolin and the overall...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Hamlett Two-Point - Four Month Check In

Kevin - Thanks for the follow up post and video. The Hamletts i've heard have wonderful projection, workmanship, stain, finish, balance and modern tone. And yours checks every box with conviction! ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Stanley A5 #68

p - You're right about this. Chis was enthusiastic about mandolins and kind enough to share a lot of info about these things and didn't get specific about what could be used to coat the inside. He...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Two mandolins from the same maker

Not long ago, I bought 2 L&H style C mandolins to see which suited me. The later short scale sounded so much better to my ears than the earlier long scale, so the short stayed and the long took...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The case of Cedar Creek Cases continues.

pops1 - Thanks for your help and revealing your trade secrets here in front of God and everybody.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

Even tho I try to be careful, they always seem to get little marks on it. Fortunately, my favorite had some visible tool marks that blend right in with daily use. Your question is another reason to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacement Grover Buttons

Mine came from All Parts. You may have to call to ask.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: custom saddles for Mandostrat

TJe153 - Not sure if there's much more to say...good intonation, feel, very fair price, looks and vibe are right, too. Highly recommended and really great folks to deal with. Check out their...
  21. Re: Considering a trade - is it me or the mandolin

It may be a good thing that you're not looking for a pristine F, as you may want to have the neck profile changed. My preference is a narrow neck with deep V shape, and I had my Stanley A5 neck...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy mandolin scales

HH - Peter Coombe had one made for his model A that looks really nice. You might check out his web site and contact him. Let me know about the new purchase.

I'm grateful for all the knowledge,...
  23. Replies
    Views

HH - Sorry I let you down on that purchase! I want very much to hear how you like it. Some 11 years ago, Charles Johnson had one of those L&H TP covers, but he spoke highly of its value, and that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Pricing?

There seems to be a lot of demand out there. For example, Girouard's wait list is 2 years now and there are others in the same boat.
  25. Replies
    Views

Tim - At last, a really nice video of a Washburn/L&H. What a wonderful sounding mandolin! i've seen some of Melissa Carroll's playing, which surpasses the sound quality. But the first video of the...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4