Search:

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

Our bluegrass Gospel band was asked to do a wedding and reception a few years ago. We've started the wedding processional with Canon in D, and then when the bride and her entourage began coming in...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Boroscope or Endoscope

Mine is an endoscope. Uses bluetooth to connect to a pad or phone; requires charging (permanent LI battery). It came with a 25' cable which of course is way too long, but it works fine as long as I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck shape/feel: "V" vs rounded

My F-9 came to me with its original V-profile. My left thumb ached every time I played it, and for hours after. I put up with it for a few years, then I got my MK mandolin which has a C-profile, and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

This is a wonderful quote!

As anyone who jams regularly knows, the toughest thing is to be first in line to take a break after a new song is started. :grin:

One must learn how to listen, and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Regarding trying to keep up with anyone playing anything, everyone is at a certain level in their playing, so there's that; yes, keep practicing.

But the other thing is what arrangement of a...
  6. Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

On my main playing mandolin (F-9) I use a Cumberland ebony armrest. It matches my ebony fingerboard, ebony bridge and ebony pick guard.

On my travel mandolin (MK) I use a Cumberland rosewood...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings

Since this thread is still active and the furor has died down, I'll defend my thoughts in my earlier post, just a little...

First, I would never suggest that someone who likes the sound of new...
  8. Thread: Strap problem

by dhergert
    Replies
    Views

Re: Strap problem

For an instrument with such a small neck joint and 8 high tension strings, it scares me to think of using a strap connection anywhere on the neck, especially when there's such a good place on the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

My first mandolin experience extending from the mid 70s to the mid 80s was not very satisfying. I didn't get along with 5ths tuning at all -- I am not a violin player and really have minimal...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to find a beater

As someone who has one, if a beater mandolin sounds good, plays easily and has the setup you like, you'll probably still feel bad if it's lost or destroyed. Being inexpensive or easy to replace...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Another trigger finger post

For those waiting to make a decision one way or another about trigger fingers, you might notice that the triggering affects gross movement more than fine movement of the fingers. For instrument...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on sinking pick guard?

Just as counterpoint, as a pick guard lover, if it were me I'd put it back on, but I'd make sure that it was mounted higher so that it won't sink back into the top, short of having the pick guard...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Nylon strings on a Banjo Mandolin

I use nylon strings on a ca 1889 SS Stewart American Princess 5 string classic banjo and it sounds wonderful. I would expect the same result with a mandolin banjo strung with 4 nylon strings,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Look at Fingerboard,or Not?

Very good question. To some the answer may be clear and absolute, others not so much...

Here are some advantages of not looking at any hands while playing...

1) You can watch the people you...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: FYI: Humidifying to close cracks.

Maybe this applies, maybe not... If it doesn't apply, sorry for the disruption.

We live in an arid environment in Southern California and sent my wife's 1989 D-41 to a prominent Martin Certified...
  16. Re: I forgot to use the "sideways" tines on the tailpiece - ?

I've actually had a number of D'A plain string loops slip, right out of the box, and as mentioned, the sideways string hooks do tend to help with that. I'm no longer using that kind of tailpiece...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Original Orville Gibson mandolin video.

I agree, great article!!! Thank you for posting!!!

About what would've happened???

There would have still been bluegrass, but you can bet people would have been playing different mandolins.
  18. Re: Is Gibson only making two models of mandolins now?

As someone who has watched Gibson's somewhat historic banjo production and their Dobro production reduce to a dribble and finally end with the 2010 flood, it wouldn't surprise me if Gibson stopped...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Kelly mandolin

Yup... Forum texts are forever. Media clips come and go with the wind and the tides.

I think we were pretty lucky to be able to participate in that sale. It seems like that kind of thing only...
  20. Replies
    Views

You're very welcomed. (If you've read it in only an hour, it's time to re-read it again more carefully.) :grin:
  21. Replies
    Views

I can't give you a complete history, but if I remember correctly, at one time they retailed for just under $1K(US).

In 2016 a number of us here got in on a $199(US) blow out sale from Musician's...
  22. Thread: JamKazam?

by dhergert
    Replies
    Views

Re: JamKazam?

Sorry I didn't catch this post earlier...

I'm still hosting and administering a Wernick-style JamKazam bluegrass jam at 4pm Pacific Time daily. This jam has been active since the onset of the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

Yes!

My 2002 F-9's nitro finish is either extremely soft or extremely thin, or maybe both. It (or the underlying stain) has a nice dark tea color which I like (no sunburst), but it mars,...
  24. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I'd say measure what you want to accomplish.

If you're playing music with your daughter and she is reading music to do so, you would do best to also read music. On the other hand, if she cannot...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Mandolin Players ?

Chris Cerna, a dear friend of ours. We just caught him, his wife and his drummer playing jazz sets at Eddie V's in Palm Desert last Sunday night. Bluegrass, jazz, classical, Gospel... They always...
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4