Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has Anyone Used or Tried the StewMac Fretbar Understring Leve

"I miss Rick Turner. RIP."

Me too! He helped me a lot!
  2. Re: Has Anyone Used or Tried the StewMac Fretbar Understring Leve

I use a 3/8" wide aluminum U channel from the hardware store with 320 self stick sand paper. you can get directly under one string as needed & it's inexpensive, and you can cut what ever length you...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

Wonderful to see that Don's mandolin is in good hands with people that will care for it. Great job Jonathon & thank you for the great video! I worked with Don at GM & he's the guy that got me...
  4. Thread: Thermalwood

by Joe Mendel
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thermalwood

Several years ago Tom Thiel developed a chemical process to blacken persimmon all the way through and it was beautiful. The problem was the chemical bath only worked for one use, making the cost...
  5. Replies
    Views

The Music Shoppe, Champaign, IL

I recently picked up a relative's guitar to take to him in the hospital and it needed new strings which I took along, but he had no picks. I googled "music store in Champaign" and The Music Shoppe...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Bussman passes

Bill was a hometown boy, from the St. Louis area. I had the pleasure of interviewing him several years ago. When I was in New Mexico a few years ago
    I gave him a call and spent an afternoon in his...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hey dude, ya forgot the pickups!

All those Esquire copies Brad Paisley plays have a neck pickup under the pick guard.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

Graham's book is a great place to start. One of the fun and scary things about building octave mandolins is that the "rules" for building them haven't been set in stone. It's not like building an F5...
  9. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

As I was once told, by a great builder "People hear with their eyes." Prettier doesn't necessarily sound better, but the human brain is a complex & confusing thing.
  10. Re: Harmony H1201TG - $68 Tenor Guitar on Craigslist in So. Illin

I picked this one up today. The owner had an appointment in St. Louis so we met. It's very clean and structurally sound, but does need a significant amount of work. The bridge has a few cracks, any...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Build a mandolin in four days

Rick is a fantastic resource, he's helped me many times.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotting a nut

What Adrian said.
  13. Re: 1964 Guild 1964 F-30 Special Brazilian Rosewood

I think think the joint would be less compromised by having some long grain across the joint, plus fingerboard removal is going to entail quite a bit of touch up. It could be a pretty small window....
  14. Re: 1964 Guild 1964 F-30 Special Brazilian Rosewood

I've done neck resets on two Guilds, I will never attempt it again. I've since been warned by several well know repairers to never attempt a neck reset on a Guild. In the case of the two I did, it...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Ken Cartwright loses home in Oregon fires

Sorry to hear this, Ken is a good guy, met him at Mandofest 2005, I believe. I bought a nice mandolin from him years ago and remember his "Mandolin Tasting" CDs. Keep us posted if there is a way to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Persimmon fret boards for F-style mandolins

Irene, the one with the dark top is redwood, w/ black walnut back and sides, the other one is red spruce with padauk back & sides.

I picked up this piece...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: We Lost John Prine.

Oh my! Rest in peace John. Thank you for the music you gave us.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: How many of you knew or knew of Don Brown?

I worked with Don Brown and his sons Denny and Don Jr. for many years. I was put on the same team with Don Sr. at the Wentzville GM plant. I liked Bluegrass before I met Don and had bought a mandolin...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Olney rests in peace

What a way for a songwriter to go, in the middle of a song, on stage. My wife and I had the privilege of sitting about 5 feet away from David at the Bluebird Cafe a couple of years ago. It was...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning Mold From Inside a Guitar?

The store owner who brought the guitar to me stopped by with more repair work on Monday. He told me the man's daughter picked the Hummingbird up over the weekend and was very happy with it and a bit...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning Mold From Inside a Guitar?

I finally got this one back together and playing. The Microban seems to have done the mold killing job very well. There's no odor of mold, though some stains remain. I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Measuring the top/back through soundhole.

MAG-ic Probe. magicprobe.net, or a Hacklinger gauge.
  23. Re: So what would a 27" scale mandocello sound like?

I don't have any sound or video clips of that one. The sound wasn't vastly different, I just thought the C string in particular had a "better" tone and projection on the longer scale. I have large...
  24. Re: So what would a 27" scale mandocello sound like?

Yes it is. That's the one.
  25. Re: So what would a 27" scale mandocello sound like?

Matt (Mandowalt) and I talked about the scale length a lot before we decided to go with 27" on the advice of Rick Turner and Paul Hostetter, and others. Tone was the big factor in going with 27"....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4