Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Denver Folklore Center has new owner

For those in Denver and surrounding areas or doing business with the long-time store Denver Folklore Center this announcement was made this morning:

To our Wonderful Customers:

We are excited...
  2. Thread: What is MAS?

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

Re: What is MAS?

I do actually rotate through and try to play them all, there are about 5 that get preference.
    The Celtic star mandola gets the least, but I did write a lot of music on that, I put nylon strings on...
  3. Re: Chris Thile Camp thread...

Combining this post into the end of the other thread shortly. This discussion ran its course and turned into a mud slinging affair filled with politics and grandiose claims of all types. Fair warning...
  4. Chris Thile Camp thread...

Regarding my post in the thread about Chris Thile's Camp, I would like to apologize to those who thought my info about our Mando & Banjo Week was self-aggrandizement.

I thought that my signature...
  5. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Jethro!

Today I'm thinking about my friend and hero, "the great one" — Jethro Burns, on the 103rd anniversary of his birth. Jethro was and still is the only mandolin player with the timing of BOTH Count...
  6. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

gross
  7. Thread: Pete Hicks

by mbruno
    Replies
    Views

Pete Hicks

Really sad to hear about the passing of Pete Hicks today. He was an amazing person and multi instrumentalist.. I got a few chances to hang out with him at various CBA events over the years (many late...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Mandolin

And here is a picture of it (next to my Octolindo).202888
  9. 'Leading Off' - Chris Thile Transcription Book

Hey y'all, just released a free PDF booklet of Chris Thile's album 'Leading Off.' I know there is an out of print version of his solos from this album and from what I can gather there aren't too many...
  10. Bach's Invention in C Minor for Mandolin/Octave Mandolin

Made a new video with one of Bach's more accessible piece. Mandolin used here is a 2011 Gilchrist and the octave is a 2020 Northfield Archtop Octave.

p2faTrSMBTg

And I was going to post this...
  11. Replies
    Views

Some bluegrass virtuosity vintage 1975

Since we lost JD and Tony this year, I thought I'd post this fantastic New South recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1lGG8FoOQ

Pretty good live recording and some amazing picking
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

He made me want to play the mandolin, and then later he helped show me how. Listening back tonight, i'm in awe once again at his depth and breadth. He could play every style!! and bring musicality...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I too am very saddened to receive this news. Peter was a master musician and a gentle soul. Rest in peace.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Mandolins

Might be a good time to educate yourself then. Published 18 months ago here: Northfield Introduces Three New Michigan-Made Instruments. And a reminder that delving into nationalism discussions is...
  15. Replies
    Views

D Minor Partita No. 2: II. Corrente

You could replay this 9 times and have your halftime Super Bowl entertainment (please don't do this, that's way too many times).

VQ1_6PE2GiM
  16. Replies
    Views

Invention in D Minor BWV 775

Another installment of trying to learn some short Bach Inventions (so that the solo violin partitas and sonatas don't eat me alive).

Had a blast putting this video together. Got a motorized...
  17. F'in Mandolin Shootout with a Nugget, Gilchrist and Hogan!

Hello and Happy New Year!

I wanted to start off my saying I am not a fan of the word shootout because it gives the connotation that I am comparing these mandolins which isn't/wasn't my intention....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Young Sam Bush A5 video

Perhaps I can share some information on the mandolin. My dad, Lowell Eldridge sold the A-50 to Sam he says in either 1970 or 71. He says he thought the A-50 was a late 40's-early 50's mandolin. When...
  19. Re: Invention in C Major BWV 772⎜Nugget F5 and Northfield Octave

I plan on doing all of them, though a mandocello would be really nice for these... Oh to dream... Hoping next week I can film the Invention in D minor.
  20. Invention in C Major BWV 772 Nugget F5 and Northfield Octave

Just got done listening to Caterina Lichtenberg and Mike Marshall's CD of Bach inventions and felt inspired to play one. You can even watch it in 4k!

eLmdWVKvMAc

Enjoy and keep on picking!
  21. Replies
    Views

Gilchrist and Heiden - Big Indian Blues

I finally started to record some comparison of my A style mandolins from each of these master builders. This is Gilchrist 522 and Heiden 92, 2001 and 2018 builds respectively. The Gilchrist is Red...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden Artist Plus A model mandolin

Over the past six years I’ve taken some photos on my visits to Michael’s shop. Here are just a few of them. Figured anyone that likes Michael’s instruments would enjoy...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull on Steven Colbert

I realized after I posted that it is "Stephan" Colbert, not "Steven".
  24. Replies
    Views

Is this sarcasm? I really can't tell. Sturgill can't sing his own songs?

I'd take this over mainstream country all day long.

https://youtu.be/zCvO_mSSHuE
  25. Replies
    Views

It would appear that Sierra Hull, Stuart Duncan, Tim O'Brien, Scott Vestal, and Mark Howard, among others, do not share your disdain for Mr. Simpson.

What do they know?

;)
Page 1 of 2 1 2