Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Did My Own Speed Neck

I did my first speed neck the same way. The clear finish was flaking off the neck on my Morris hybrid F4. I used a pick to scrape the rest off, then used some 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it all...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about my mandolin

If it was German or from Eastern Europe I too would have expected to see a zero fret.
  3. Replies
    Views

It is a style that is often called a German dome back and the tuners look German but it may have been made in Mexico. If German I would expect dot markers and maybe some kind of inlay on the top.
  4. Replies
    Views

Probably a good guess. The bridge most likely isn't original either.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Here is a link to every message on the Cafe that mentions the Ms. Griffith Loar. The single signed Lloyd Loar A style mandolin built by Gibson is known as the Ms. Griffith Loar. She wanted an A...
  6. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe - Porter Wagoner Show, 1968

I watched this great example of "The Man" at work, and could not find it posted before. I don't think Bill ever suffered stage fright. What a performer!:mandosmiley:...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Sound power, Gibson mandolin?

A 1920 A model mandolin is typically a very sweet little instrument. In general, they are known for their mellow tone, not a lot of cutting trebles or strong chop. Again in general terms and all...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Doug Clark mandolins

Nice mandolin. Doug Clark is a North Carolina builder, around Asheville I believe. The couple that i have played were pretty nice mandolins. Will Hart with the King James Boys Currently plays one....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Help to Identify this Old Tenor Guitar

I'm getting pretty close to finishing this old tenor guitar so I thought I would post a few pictures. I'm not totally satisfied with the finish on the top, but it is pretty close to looking like I...
  10. Re: Flatiron F Festival - information on this particular model

Nope, they buy from whomever they choose to buy from and the name Epiphone doesn't add any cache to the Flatiron label. But, as Steinberger is a Gibson brand I totally understand the concept. They...
  11. Re: Flatiron F Festival - information on this particular model

It was all solid, pressed not carved as far as I recall and at one time they added the Epiphone name to the label, not unlike the Epiphone guitar I have that has a Gibson truss rod cover on it. That...
  12. Re: Flatiron F Festival - information on this particular model

There are no modern "Epiphone made" instruments. Gibson bought the Epiphone brand name decades ago and in the ensuing years has contracted the construction of Epiphone branded instruments to...
  13. Re: Mando marked "old craftsman" could be a "strad o lin" ?

In 1954 Regal as a company closed down. Harmony purchased the rights to the name and some assets. It's not quite the same as buying the company. By then it was simply a name as well. Fender owned the...
  14. Re: Mando marked "old craftsman" could be a "strad o lin" ?

Kay was never acquired by Harmony. They were always their own company. Harmony was owned by Sears for a time then they spun themselves off again. Kay mandolin neck joints have always been an issue.
  15. Re: Mando marked "old craftsman" could be a "strad o lin" ?

Kay is famous for the bad dovetails they carved on their mandolins. Their method of making up for it was to flow in as much hide glue as they could. They almost always fail. If you opened it up you'd...
  16. Re: Mando marked "old craftsman" could be a "strad o lin" ?

Old Kraftsman was a brand of Spiegel- a catalogue company and sold instruments from a number of makers including Gibson. The mandolin you show was made by Kay which was first made in 1939. There is a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New build question - type of maple?

I don't want to get too snarky here, but; who is building the mandolin? If the builder likes sugar maple and thinks he/she can get you the sound you want using it, what difference does it make what...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New build question - type of maple?

The most important factor is the skill of the builder. Individual pieces of wood can vary greatly, regardless of species. Even within species.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

The full album available on youtube for those interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyIkokhjsU&list=PLvsYXqtYjMYeZBBAseQ1FaKN2j9g50uW8
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

I quite like David Benedict's videos and his work is a valuable contribution to mandolinning. Especially in the bluegrass and bluegrassish genres.

I do not like too many "shoulds" in what is, to...
  21. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

While you're waiting for answers here are several thousand message you might want to look through. The applicable ones will jump right out at you.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

Kenny, those are certainly three good fiddle tunes to learn! Big Sciota is also a great vocal tune.

Here's some advice that may be helpful, take or leave it as you will ~

First, if you want to...
  23. Replies
    Views

What kind of mandolin is this?

AJ Lee, with the Brothers Comatose, do a beautiful take on Neil Young's Harvest Moon. What kind of mandolin is she playing?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml22cp4ojHg
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

https://youtu.be/r9M4ilthR_U
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Help to Identify this Old Tenor Guitar

Came out of the same factory as this one I would guess.

Or this one.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4