Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin goes sharp between sessions?

It likely isn't due to linear expansion from body heat, as if you tuned it right when you picked it up, the strings would likely expand a miniscule amount, then when you put it back in your case they...
  2. Re: Good camcorder and set up for recording a mandolin

Bernie,

Yes! Most "vlogging" or mid-level DSLRs do have a rotating LCD screen. But even if they don't (my cameras don't) you can easily connect your phone to most Canon (and likely soon Nikon)...
  3. Re: Good camcorder and set up for recording a mandolin

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents real quick. I'm a professional photographer and videographer, by trade. For any beginners looking for a good/decent video set-up but don't want to get into the...
  4. Thread: Colorado!

by Theo W.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Colorado!

Hey!

I'm living in Durango for a few more weeks (until I graduate). We have a lot of infrequent jams over here along with a couple regular ones (Irish jam at the Irish pub!). I've never been to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber vs. Eastman

I've owned an Eastman 815 and I currently own a Weber Buffalo (Yellowstone-like). Every Weber I've ever played has a similar tone which I tend to love with a lot of lows and a good balance. The...
  6. Thread: Bridges?

by Theo W.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bridges?

Is it a flat top or arch top? Either way, you'll probably have to fit it to the top. Which involves laying sandpaper on the top and gently rubbing the bridge against it.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: ...and I am still in the hunt!!!

Minor finish checking will have no effect on the tone of an instrument. Just one's pride. ;)
  8. Replies
    Views

I'm on the western slope near Hotchkiss! You should consider going to wildwood music in Boulder. I enjoy that store a lot. There are a couple others but I can't remember the names. You may be able to...
  9. Replies
    Views

I'd be wary of Michael Kelly mandos, unless you can try them. The Loars have a good reputation here but I'd be careful of them too. Every Loar I've played has been a dud except one f-model at a local...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Fresh slate...best approach?

If you watch these two videos, you may know more about finger position than your teacher. Either way, you're not going to create permanent pathways in your brain from an afternoon of messing around...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Changing strings

It's easier than changing strings on a piano. At least there's no chance of getting murdered by breaking a string.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Bitterroot F

Looks like it found a good new home. Enjoy! The spruce top looks great.
  13. Replies
    Views

Brekke bridges are the best. On many Webers you can adjust the bridges under full string tension with an included wrench.
  14. Replies
    Views

I've never heard of a bitterroot having a mahogany back. I thought they always had maple back/sides/neck. It's just a darker stain sometimes. I could be wrong though. I'd say go for it. I just bought...
  15. Thread: Don't laugh...

by Theo W.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Don't laugh...

Buying used from a reputable seller such as Elderly or the Mandolin Store is almost always a safe bet. If you buy from the classifieds or Ebay, look carefully for a return policy/approval period....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: What does "Cs" mean (Eastman 515)?

I believe it stands for "Classic." These 515s look much like their older cousins before Eastman redesigned their mandolin finishes (now they are very red). The finish on them is a warmer sunburst. I...
  17. Thread: Slickery Picks

by Theo W.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Slickery Picks

I recently picked up a couple different picks after using a Wegen 7-hole pick for 4 years. I realized that those damn holes make it harder to hold on to! I haven't dropped my bluechip once yet.

I...
  18. Re: Exploring Classical Mandolin: Technique & Repertoire

I can't wait to receive your book in the mail, August! As soon as I saw the news post I bought myself a copy. I'll let you know what I think. Thanks!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall Lessons Worth It?

Yes.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Holes: an old question from a new member

Most of the time I find that the difference between (for example) an Eastman 504 and an Eastman 505 has more to do with the wood being different than the holes being different. I've always found that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Immersion Method--via YouTube!

I like this idea. Here's a couple inspiration videos I've seen over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAMe9pZwogY ... Ok ok, not really a mandolin video. But c'mon.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Brand New to Mandolin--Advice?

First off... Get yourself a tiny-sized capo and a set of finger picks. Then you'll be ready.

:cool:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I wonder how this scam works?

Marine engineer? Sounds fishy.

:mandosmiley: