Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson destroys hundreds of Firebird X's

Happily playing my Gibson mando while reading another silly Gibson-bashing thread....

Mick
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Remove Frets & Scoop

I never advise against removing part of your instrument's upper range...but that's my minority opinion.
  3. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

From what I've gathered,they quit making banjos right after the flood...
  4. Replies
    Views

The end of my playing days.

Hi all - It's not nice to have to post this,but i've been diagnosed with a strong possibility of having lung cancer. As a life long non-smoker,that's pretty ironic.
    It's not 100% certain yet,as i...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1916 Pumpkin Top A1

The maximum I would put on these old Gibsons is 11-15-25-40. I usually use 10 1/2-14-24- 38 or 40.

There are those who would say that these old mandolins can handle the heavy gauge strings that...
  6. Replies
    Views

I use lights on my ‘17 as a precaution. They play and sound nice.
  7. Replies
    Views

Thanks Zeiguner. Very helpful. I've always used mediums, and I've always found mandolins pretty difficult to fret compared with guitars. This might wind up being kind of a game changer for me.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguards, or not?

Given the fact that I am more of a 'melodic' player, and don't normally 'chop' or 'chord', I find that the pickguard/finger-rest is very helpful for keeping my hand in a comfortable playing position....
  9. Replies
    Views

It's easy. If the mando lacks a pickguard, use a felt pick. :)
  10. Replies
    Views

No I certainly do not see that there is any obligatory connection between bluegrass pickers and the need for pick guards. The only difference between bluegrass pickers and other pickers is that they...
  11. Replies
    Views

"No pickguard" is the correct answer.
  12. Replies
    Views

The pickguard does not affect the volume or tone. This has been beat to death over the years. There might be three dozen posts about it. It's a personal thing. On the original F5 they weren't called...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-3 - Bar Frets?

I will confirm that Gibson did not use bar frets.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-3 - Bar Frets?

Gibson never used bar frets as far as I know. They are very narrow though, which could give you that impression.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Heavy gauge strings (J75) on a vintage Gibson A

On behalf of repair people throughout the world, I thank you for contributing to our job security.
  16. Replies
    Views

Mr. Block can argue all that he wants. After having worked on a couple of hundred of these mandolins and seeing what has happened to many that have been heavily strung, I am comfortable with my...
  17. Replies
    Views

I've worked on many Gibson mandolins made between 1910 and 1930. These mandolins were NOT made to handle either set that has been mentioned. Not only do you risk warped necks, you also risk sunken...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuned in Fifth's

It's from the position of the notes in a scale. The space between any two notes is called an interval, and all the intervals have names.

If we start with the G on a mandolin, a G major scale is G...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuned in Fifth's

G to D is a fifth, D to A is a fifth, A to E is a fifth, as opposed to standard guitar tuning E to A is a fourth, A to D is a fourth, D to G is a fourth, G to B is 3rd, B to E is a 4th. So...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made Northfield

If it is a good sounding mandolin, I don't think where it is made should matter.
  21. Replies
    Views

An open letter to Classifieds users

I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding...