Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

I haven't played in a church band since the 1980s, but based upon my guitarist brother's experience, your post is spot on. There are a lot of electric guitar players out there looking for steady...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

My experience is that contemporary church music has fossilized into a standard format that rarely contains a melody line of significance, and is geared towards keyboards, electric guitar, and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmastime is Here - NMD

Eric, on Steve's FB page there are photos of your mandolin during construction. Go down to 13 November 2022. That myrtle back is gorgeous! Hoping that you can post a video so we can hear how the pine...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip-on mic vs Removable Pickup

I have used a Schertler Dyn-M contact mic that is attached with a green putty and does not mar the mandolin top. I zip tie a small 48-V phantom power box on my mic stand and send both vocal mic and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Sighting of Our Fearless Leader!

The problem with that photo is that no matter how hard I try, I can't hear anything. :whistling:
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Very interesting video, thanks for posting.

My choice would be "Whiskey Before Breakfast".
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

For sure. So come on Greg, write a song about wastin' away in Minnesnowda, searching for your lost tater tot casserole recipe, or something like that. :))
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Jimmy Buffett

Yes I liked his songs; he was a true story teller.

And then I found one of his novels, A Salty Piece of Land, in a library book sale for maybe $0.50 or $1 and found it thoroughly enjoyable. He was...
  9. Thread: Binging

by James Vwaal
    Replies
    Views

Re: Binging

I opened this thread because I was curious about what was being suggested "to bing" continuously. :))

I think you meant, "bingeing" as in "to binge" continuously (gerund).

Sorry, hard not to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

There are some "good, modern, progressive" players who more likely drew from the jazz and violin world: Don Stiernberg, Isaac Eicher, Jason Anick, Paul Glasse, and Aaron Weinstein, for example.

I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Isaac Eicher teaches gypsy jazz

One of my favorite songs to play is "Night in Paris", a Gypsy style tune written by Isaac's father Shelby Eicher. Just studying the chord choices is a lesson in gypsy jazz/swing.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Calypso Mandolin

JB, this is the first calypso mandolin that I ever heard. And it is easily one of my favorite Dawg tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0lTd939Dd8
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Physics and not-banjos

Or it could be the Heisenberg Banjo Uncertainty Principle: When one is playing the banjo, they shouldn't be observed. Conversely, if one is being observed, they shouldn't be playing the banjo.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

So you're saying that 4 + 4 = 5?? :))
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando repairs near St.Pete?

So, pheffernan, you didn't get blown away by Ian. Good to see.

You know, that's a lot of mandolins to keep track of. Just sayin'. ;)

1979 Givens A
    2015 Black A2z
  16. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I sat next to Dick Kimmel at a jam session a couple of years back and he showed me his LaPlant. Nice mandolin. I also got to play someone else's LaPlant for a couple of minutes at a different...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Small PA setups

I LOVE those line array systems. But, like dhergert, I ended up buying myself a Roland Cube Street EX which I was using in a trio (sometimes quartet) since everyone else had their own amplification....
  18. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I have only had access to a few mandolins to hold, so I will have to say that the Monteleone A-model Radio Flyer is at the top of my list for nice:
  19. Re: Resources for learning gypsy jazz / dawg style music

I think you meant Django Fakebook, correct? Yeah, I downloaded that a while ago and it is good for the chords and basic melodies.

I would be surprised if Django had a Facebook page! :)) (Yes, I...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Temperature and Outdoor Gigs

Use sweat bands on your wrists like the ones used by basketball players. I found that it keeps sweat from running down my arms and onto my palms and the instrument.

Even in the heat, I use my best...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: guitar returned after 45 years

Wow! Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

"You ain't seen nothing yet ...."
  22. Re: Best places for live traditional music in Dublin, Edinburgh

I had the good fortune of spending a week in Edinburgh one August back in .... forgot the year. Anyway, it was during the Fringe Festival, and I was in an apartment motel in the the Holyrood area...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in public domain these days?

Charlie, you should check on some of the W.C. Handy tunes. If I remember correctly, both "St. Louis Blues" and "Beale Street Blues" are off copyright, for example.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: tuning machine ratios

I have a couple of mandolins. The 1979 Givens has 26:1 ratio which allows me to fine tune the pitch of each string. The 2015 Black has 16:1 tuners, which I find I have to mess with a bit more often...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Introducing the Sorensen Electric AXE

What, no scroll?

;)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4