Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Played my first gig

Hi everyone, just a celebratory post for my first gig. It was only on a street corner at a local festival with a kind of steam-punk dance troupe (we call Morris Dancing) but it’s a big deal for me as...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help with Jigs

This is indeed, the main consideration with slides and jigs. The difference between a jig (actually a double jig) and slide is getting pretty deep into the weeds of Irish music. You'll hear some...
  3. The Report Of My Death Was An Exaggeration

I hear/see people have been concerned about my welfare during the hurricane. I weathered it just fine, in a solid building where I'd been invited by a friend - who then left town, doubting his own...
  4. Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

After a couple of months I have taken my OM back in my hands and tried to arrange two An Dros from France. The fingers are still a bit stiff. Hope you like it anyway :-)...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Take The Challenge (NMC)

I tried to fill it out and it froze twice, but I'd gotten to the third question and realized I had no idea who any of these people were, except some vague remembrance from when I was younger and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Boomer Bust?

I’m 65. Born pretty close to the middle of what’s considered the Baby Boomer Generation. Maturing nicely, if I do say so myself. And contrary to what my wife says, I do notice things.

I’m...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

It sounds like you are not freezing but instead you' re getting "lost" when you are playing with others.

You say you can play tunes to decent speed on your own but when you play with others things...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid jamming

that dude who hogs the limelight is there and he drives me nuts

I don't know what to wear

I have a paper cut

I went last week and was ignored

I went last week and was asked to solo
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Smile helps practicing (not a joke!)

"You must really enjoy what you're doing - everytime I looked at you, you were just smiling away."

HAH! Yeah that's what I get!
  10. Replies
    Views

Who has the best wife in the world?

This guy. (Thumbs pointing toward me).

Yesterday, after the funeral for a friend's mother, a couple of pickin buddies and I stopped by The Chapman's Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO, to look at...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about jams and jamming

I don't think I've had that much fun in the last year, much less in 3:43 minutes...

I think this will probably be my objective.

We are in the throes of retiring right now. I have felt like...
  12. Re: Stolen 10 years ago, on craigslist today - what can I do?

Mandolin Squad

13. Great archive of some lesser heard tunes!

Someone posted about this over at thesession.org and I've just spent all morning perusing it while I should've been working! It's the Séamus Connolly Collection of Irish Music - each tune is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: What was under YOUR tree this Christmas?

We just bought a house, and spent our first Christmas in it. Had a nice lunch gathering with a couple of friends and spent the day playing music. The house itself is our gift to each other.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What was under YOUR tree this Christmas?

My wife just finished building her 2nd guitar and decided to surprise me with it for Christmas. Stunned! Its an OM with Carpathian top, padauk back and sides. [/ATTACH]152409152410152411
  16. Re: Where do you play and store your instruments at home?

I'll say. I am quite familiar with that style, since I practically grew up in it - my mother used to be a big fan of Victorian.
    Later, I went on to do my own home in a much more simplistic,...
  17. Berea College Bluegrass Ensemble 'Carol of the Bells"

Enjoy

BIPTE84l9ls

On mandolin is Al White, a music instructor at Berea College. Al played mandolin for The Bluegrass Alliance in the 70's along with my friend, Marshall Billinglsey on bass and...
  18. Re: Where do you play and store your instruments at home?

OK, well, since we're showing photos and talking about music rooms, here's a couple of photos of the front room (I'm calling it the parlor) of my 1930 Tudor house. Since we just moved in a couple of...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: So few women

The males of those species often are under considerable stress when they do that. Some die in fights, from exhaustion or get eaten by their mates. You don't want any of that in a jam or session....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Hijacking cat thread with baby.

21. Replies
    Views

Angus R Grant of Shooglenifty, RIP

Really sad news today of the sudden passing of one of Scotland's finest fiddlers and inspirations. Angus, you will be greatly missed by thousands.

http://www.shooglenifty.com/2016/10/angus/
  22. Replies
    Views

First adventure in building: mandola

I recently finished up my first instrument, and thought I'd post some pictures. It is a mandola with a 16" scale length, built to plans drawn by my friend James Curtis and with his assistance to keep...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Steam Punk !!!!!!!!!

Oh, it's definitely a barkometer
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical vs Bluegrass

If everyone dies, it's Irish... :-)
  25. Replies
    Views

Don Messer Documentary

I had never heard of Don Messer until I started trying to learn mandolin, a bit over a year ago. Since then I have really enjoyed working on many of his fiddle tunes. Today I happened upon a...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4