Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Duff engraving probably Machine ?

This TP is from my 2002 Duff H-5 mandola. They look very similar to my eyes (especially in person, mine has much more chrome plating). It is beautiful engraving for sure, I would guess...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier in NE Florida?

Randy Wood is in southern Georgia just outside of Savannah in Bloomingdale. He knows a fair amount about mandolins :)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  3. Re: The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

Lovely rendition Colin!! It must have been the "harpsichord" solo that was calling out to your A-4. Sounded great!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Attack, pick and string gauge

The action at the 12th fret seems too high imho and perhaps at the nut as well yielding a mandolin that you are struggling to easily play. Can you post a picture of the neck from the side showing the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: To Speed Neck or Not to Speed Neck

Heat and humidity from living 20+ years in Florida convinced me of the value of speed necks especially on my '56 F-12. The F-12 had a black painted finish on the neck that was extremely sticky so I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Reuben and Cherise

Jim42059 said "thought I would eventually learn how to translate to a mandolin. Not yet, so I've been searching for another way. Thank you."

Any other way that you choose to avoid learning how to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: nice looking Gibson F-4 1917

Beautiful mandolin for sure. I wish he had it in tune???

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Not the instrument silly...the blonde holding the instrument. Oh, sorry not a mandolin. That's a Marilyn:cool:

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wonderful Gibson 1910's Oval Holes (no love?)

Much love for a 1916 blackface F that I acquired in 1975 for $650. Of the mandolins in my
    current rotation, it gets the least playtime but the most appreciation when played. It is strung with D'A...
  10. Thread: Blacktop Friday

by lenf12
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blacktop Friday

Is Blacktop Monday allowed??

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 10 Mandolin Players SOLO on the SAME Tune

Thanks Daryl for posting this and David for the idea and getting this project together. Lots of information to digest. Well done!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Grover vs Golden Age vs Gotoh vs

I recently purchased a set of Gotoh gold A style tuners for a Gibson A-5L that came equipped with Schaller tuners with pearloid buttons. I chose the Gotohs because the tuner buttons could be replaced...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about flat wound strings

I use D'Adddario EFW-74s on my mid-teens F-4 (oval hole but you knew that). The strings are stainless steel flat wound like the Tomastiks I have used on this mandolin with unsatisfactory results...
  14. Replies
    Views

Lookie here, you may never see this again!!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/209763#209763

I just spotted this new ad in the classifieds. Enjoy!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwounds HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THEM?

I usually change my D'Addario EFW-74s after about 6 months or so. At 6 months they still sound good but may surprise you with how much better the new set will sound.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  16. Thread: Love for Ovals

by lenf12
    Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

Just one??? :disbelief:

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Best strings for vintage Gibson

I have been using D'Addario EFW-74s on my 1916 F-4 for a few years with exactly the results I was seeking. After using D'A EFT-74s phosphur bronze sets for many years I realized that the old F-4...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Virziectomy Major Surgery?

That's one way to perform a Virzi-ectomy through the F-hole, but you run the risk of scarring the F hole area. Removing the back (if you know what you're doing) is less risky imho. That's how Randy...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Diamond July 9 Roasted - 281R

That's drop dead gorgeous!! Enjoy it in good health Zach.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Steffey F5, anyone?

There is not one better than another, they are all just different. You be the judge of what you like, or can afford, but they are all great!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pickguards - remove or not?

A good many of them were "under" the Christmas tree at some point in their lives ;)

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Considerations for buying early F4?

And remember to post pictures or the deal never happened ;) Seriously, your impressions on sound and playability are most welcome. TIA

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    (owner of a 1916 F-4 since 1975)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Replace the replaced tuners?

They're ugly, replace with the Golden Age restoration tuners. Seems like it is peghead heavy and could be balanced much better with the GA tuners imho.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  24. Replies
    Views

A Mandolin-centric Birthday Gift

A very good friend painted this watercolor for my birthday in June depicting two of my favorite activities, playing mandolin and drinking good wine. She knows I'm a hopeless mando-holic.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Duff A4.5 Mandolin

Imagine dialing back the output of a mandolin...hmmm ;). That F-4.5 is stunning. Play it in good health.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

2002 - Paul Duff H-5 Mandola w/ Virzi.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4