Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Lakota Leathers

Yep, I had a minor isue with one as well, and he went way above and beyond to help me. But what's really cool is how the business helps the Lakota tribe. Go to his website and check out the About...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

From personal experience, I can definitely say that being a good musician does not necessarily make one a good teacher. Anyone can put an ad up online and call themselves a teacher. I had a guitar...
  3. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

If you go to the Builders link, you'll find over 250 builders listed in the US alone. I'm sure that doesn't include all builders, and there are probably many listed that are no longer building.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD - Northfield Big Mon

That looks very nice, the binding is beautiful but subdued. I've always wanted to play one of those, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Lots of good straps out there, I like Lakota...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best prices Gibson F5

IMHO, a newer model signed by David Harvey is hard to beat. The best value would generally be a used F9, if you can find one.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: ISO Luthier to carve and install new top

Man, sorry to hear that. I know it must hurt, it is painful for me to look at.

I don't have any suggestions for you, other than to perhaps let us know where you live in case there might be local...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield 4th Gen F5

Nice looking mandolin, congrats!
  8. Re: Gibson F5-G with bottom edge damage (need advice Buy or Pass)

I'm no expert in repair. But I would not buy an instrument with that level of damage until I was able to have a competent repair person give me an assessment. I wouldn't mind some scratches and dings...
  9. Re: Mandolin Tasting: Gibsons, Buckeye, Duff, Northfiled

My ears liked #5, #6, and #1 in order of the top three, but they all sounded good.

But I must say that the production, playing, and mixing of this tasting was top notch! Great job in the way it...
  10. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Well, I've often said that it's ok to mod an instrument if it helps you to play. So I decided to go ahead and drill my Taylor guitar to mount the tuner. I usually play the mandolin in the choir, but...
  11. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

I'm still thinking about the irony of this: Drilling a hole in your headstock to mount a tuner that is designed to keep from damaging the finish of your instrument. :confused:
  12. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

I'm sitting here with my morning coffee wondering why this thread is so long. I've been using the D'Addario micro for a few years now and love it. So I thought I didn't need to read this thread, but...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

I'm pretty much like Allen here. I treat my instruments with respect, but if they need a strap button or pickup, I put one on and don't even think about it. I have an electric guitar that's a case...
  14. Re: Any atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's out there?

Not gonna play your game.
  15. Re: Any atheist / agnostic Bluegrasser's out there?

Religion and politics are two of the easiest ways I know to shut down a thread on this board.

This is a site about mandolins, plenty of other places to talk about those things.
  16. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

This is very true, but there's a huge down side to not learning which sharps and flats are in which key. I played by ear for years and years, and was "ok", but I often got confused as to which notes...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Pava Pro

That is a fine looking mandolin, congrats!
  18. Re: Sierra Hull playing as half the audience walks away.

I had a cat for almost 20 years, she recently passed. But she loved it when I sang to her, especially in minor keys. Not sure why, but I would make up silly songs, and basically sing her name (Tiger...
  19. Re: Gibson opposes Collings' headstock trademark registration, ci

"I'm soooo confused!" "I bought this guitar thinking it was a Gibson, but now I find out it's a Collings!" "I guess I should have read what was on the headstock, instead of going by the shape."

20. Re: Charlie Daniels, fiddle (and mandolin) player dead at 83.

RIP Charlie, thank you for your music. I saw him several times, he was a hard working musician and put on a great show.
  21. Re: APM cancels Live From Here amid other layoffs and cuts

I am saddened by this news. The world was a better place with the show.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Day!

If it sounds half as good as it looks, you should be very happy.

Congrats!
  23. Re: Mandolin Recommendations - Beginner to Intermediate

What mandolin to buy? That is the question we all have to answer; from the very beginner who has never even held a mandolin, to those of us with years of experience wanting to upgrade to the next...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: We don't need no steenking flat picks!

Carol Wonderland just uses her fingers:

c9yvskI39-s
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Feline String Change Caution

No one really owns a cat, they simply tolerate our presence. :)
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4