Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks

Thanks, Scott, and I really like what you are trying to accomplish with your book series.
  2. Re: Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the video.

I tried to get someone to teach me those licks/concepts for years and no one could explain when to use a flatted third/seventh to get a bluesy sound. I...
  3. Re: Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks

yes, this
    video is not about physical technique but the blues licks and such.
    i found it interesting.
    d
  4. Re: Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks

Scott is a totally cool dude. Finally got to meet him at Winfield this last year. I don't think he's trying to teach mandolin as much as he's teaching the theory of blues licks, demonstrated on a...
  5. Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks

i just found this, haven't had time to watch it all but it looks interesting and instructional

here you go

Two Secrets to Bluesy, Old-Timey Mandolin Licks
  6. Thread: Caged System?

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Caged System?

Scroll about halfway down to the "Free Fretboard Toolbox Mandolin Tools" section. I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.fretboard-toolbox.com/Complete_Mandolin.html
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretboard Toolbox

It's great, I love it.

I have both of Don Julin's books and love them. They are good for my practice sessions where I'm working on techniques. After reading this thread, I checked out the...
  8. Replies
    Views

I have the pdf version and love it. There is a ton of stuff to learn there and you will be busy the rest of your life! Ha, ha.

I think you may be very interested in the common chord progressions...
  9. Replies
    Views

Yes, I have. I think it is useful because it causes me to figure out what is going on in chords, melody, etc. Also, it helped me memorize. The cost is very low and the benefit is more than worth...
  10. Re: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

As one who has attended berklee, and taken lessons the better part of my life, from superb players and far less commonly, superb teachers,
    I think the 'trust me' approach has it's place.

First,...
  11. Re: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

Having a fretboard diagram on screen together with the real fretboard would make much more sense if the diagram would reflect what you do in real time, e.g. like the little white boxes lighting up...
  12. Re: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

This a great question, one I am still searching for an answer too. I have many videos on my you tube channel, some are not very good, while others get positive feedback in the form of comments, and...
  13. Re: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

Yep same thought, the fretboard 'jig' is kinda distracting at times.

I always find it hard to stay with the excessive and painfully slow calling of each note. ex "starting on the forth string,...