Search:

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique adjustments

It may be different education systems but I have a huge amount of fun learning specific skills and listening to academics explain them.
    One analogy of learning a skill may be the Tai-Chi slow...
  2. Replies
    Views

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply. Hopefully this is the first of many inevitable technique overhauls over time. The first one reminds me of the typical learning pattern that is...
  3. Replies
    Views

Changing technique is both the worst and best thing. It sucks having to relearn whatever it is, but it's usually followed by attaining new abilities that weren't accessible before. Most musicians...
  4. The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

It's been a while since my last Beatles arrangement. Here's what I came up with the other day for their song "In My Life."

I did all the past Beatles arrangements on mandola, but for some reason...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: To Speed Neck or Not to Speed Neck

Had it done to my Summit F200. I really dislike the feel of poly finish on a neck, it feels sticky under my hands. The speed neck definitely made it smoother and more playable, feels more like a...
  6. Replies
    Views

DataNick on Bluegrasstoday

I just wanted to give a shout out for DataNick who has this on Bluegrasstoday:

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-san-diego-mandolinist-b-k-nick-nicholson/

I miss his quality posts...
  7. Re: Can beginners learn on a 4 String Electric Mandolin?

I have 2 PeeWees that are a lot of fun. I keep one tuned CGDAEB (bulls-eye) and the other (burst) E standard so one is in 5ths and the other in 4ths. I upgraded both with an active EMG-89 (switches...
  8. New Year's resolution: talk less, practice more

We know what we need to do: metronome, study, exercise, learn, write, improvise, play.

To work!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Soldier's Joy

I don't believe the song "glorifies" drug use, I think ultimately a "Soldiers Joy" is for the battle to be over and the Soldier still alive, where the soldier can celebrate by drinking, dancing,...
  10. RECOVERED Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

My lost 1922 Gibson F4 mandolin has been found, here is the story…

Last week I received an email correspondence, through my website, from a operations supervisor of a retailers distribution...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Dating a Gibson F12

Here's a typical later 1950's F-12 peghead:

12. Thread: Musician Jokes

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Musician Jokes

My nephew asked me, many years ago, "Uncle Jeff why do you play mandolin? Isn't that something musicians do?"
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

Skip Gorman looks good in his hat. Good video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUZiVrFtjt0
  14. Replies
    Views

Guitar and mandolin anyone?

https://youtu.be/Nt33mGi_XRI?si=uROpJYEqaLMlEHP7
  15. D'Addario EFT74 strings discontinued - does anyone know why?

D'Addario EFT74 strings discontinued - does anyone know why?

I really like these strings with the wound A-string, but found out they are no longer made. I bought all I could find, but they won't...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Strange plectrum?

I'd guess a cut-out section of a "sunshade" brim from an old gardener's hat, judging from the arc of the stitched trim on the back edge of the pick.
  17. Replies
    Views

10 Mandolin Players SOLO on the SAME Tune

awesome content and presentation on this-enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlMZ6iPeNI
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Grover vs Golden Age vs Gotoh vs

You can buy real mother-of-pearl buttons for Gotoh tuners off eBay. Beyond that good luck on finding any other buttons that fit. Yeah, there are some work arounds but the number of folks selling...
  19. Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

Ebony almost always looks nice if it is uniform black and very finely sanded. My favorite (tied with ebony) would be a flamed maple or birdseye maple (whatever the figure is in your mandolin's back...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about flat wound strings

I’ve been playing flatwounds exclusively for the past 8 years and more exclusively Pyramid Gold heavies.

Flatwounds (after being played in a bit) sound full, round and feel very smooth under the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Lookie here, you may never see this again!!

Beauty
  22. Re: Are Those Old, Pre-Gibson Flatiron Mandos Really Good?

In 1987 Gibson bought Flatiron and production of Gibson's mandolins was moved to Montana. Steve Carlson was in charge as Flatiron was his company and he sold to Gibson. Any mandolins built between...
  23. Replies
    Views

Beveled Dawg pick

I have heard good things about Dawg picks but just never could get used to how quiet they are. After beveling one, I am a fan. Give it a try. 209560
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Best strings for vintage Gibson

I have two of the teens Gibson mandolins. I have used both J74’s and Martin lights. Then I put Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds on one and I love them. It is a high price to pay but they last a long...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

I dig it, but I listen to as much rock music as I do bluegrass. Sounds like it would fit in nicely on a Phoebe Bridgers albums, or any of the Bridgers-adjacent albums, and for me at least, that's not...
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4