Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Expectation check for a brand new Loar Honey Creek mandolin

Sustain is a personal preference...I’d rather have it than not, as I can always chop or palm mute if needed, but if it ain’t there, it ain’t there.

As for the finish flaws, yes, those are common...
  2. Re: Expectation check for a brand new Loar Honey Creek mandolin

I love sustain, if you you can get by the finish imperfections, and the sound and price is right, your a winner.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: To Gibson or not?

Mandolad, sorry, I’ve been out of pocket. Yes, there is awesome sustain on the lower notes, which I LOVE. I play for and by myself, without thought of satisfying anyone but me. I mostly play fiddle...
  4. Replies
    Views

There is wisdom in the statement that if you really can't hear a difference save the money.

My view is to avoid any thinking about investment. It leads to ridiculous behavior like not playing...
  5. Replies
    Views

The oval hole Gibsons vary considerably in tone and projection. I've heard them bright, dark, bassy, with singing trebles, clear-toned, "tubby," strong, and weak.
    In my experience, the year of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Oval holes do emphasize the bass sound more. My 1929 A Jr. has more bass than a previously owned 1910 A had. They all have it and it varies from instrument to instrument.

You can often deal with...
  7. Replies
    Views

I've NEVER regretted buying any Gibson I have owned. They will hold their value better than most, as long as they are in good condition. This one looks like it has new frets. That adds value to it,...
  8. Replies
    Views

My old Gibson ('22 A2 paddle) is loud, balanced, warm and just a wonderful sounding mandolin. It also plays like the proverbial butter. The earlier Gibson's can be tubby, once you get to around 1918...
  9. Replies
    Views

Was in an airport Friday, noodling around on my Eastman 515. A guy with a beat up vintage case joins me, and pulls out an old Gibby A. We did a little tasting. Nice tone, like you would expect for...
  10. Replies
    Views

The bass and sustain which you describe are an inherent feature of the Gibson oval, particularly the pre-Loar paddleheads. It makes them ideal for drones, like those found in Irish traditional music,...
  11. Replies
    Views

As far as having 'The Gibson sound', although I've been a lover of Gibson fot 50 years or so and have owned 27 Gibson mandolins, I think it is a phrase which people use when trying to enhance an...
  12. Replies
    Views

I just purchased a 1920 Gibson A from the cafe ads (as in, arrived just last Saturday). Cosmetically, looks a lot like the one you're looking at. However, seller had refretted (big frets) and...
  13. Replies
    Views

It’s no steal, but it is a value. I can’t think of an archtop mandolin that I’d rather own for $1000 than an old Gibson oval. Perhaps make an offer?
  14. Replies
    Views

I do quite like the look of it, however.
  15. Replies
    Views

That is a plain style A, built between 1918 and 1923. In that condition, it's no steal. They can probably be found in better condition at the same price, and certainly much better condition for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Since your sister has asked you to play at the wedding, I imagine that she is happy with the sound you already make, so what you already have would be fine for this occasion.

Since you yourself...
  17. Replies
    Views

For a few years I worked part-time in a "Saturdays only" guitar store, run by the late Eldon Stutzman. (His son Dave's relocated it and kept it going as Stutzman's Guitar Center). Eldon used to...
  18. Replies
    Views

Having played guitar at two weddings I've found it is a challenge and only a small part of the overall event. The thing to do is practice alot on whatever mandolin you've got so you're happy with...
  19. Replies
    Views

Unless you plan on inviting Mandolin Cafe members I seriously doubt anyone that's there will hear the difference between any of these mandolins. I agree with Jimmy on this one as well.
  20. Replies
    Views

I agree the pre-truss rod Gibson's "with a few exceptions" are superior sounding and a bit brighter + you can adjust the neck with the Truss rod! While I'm no fanof the round hole Gibson's some sure...
  21. Replies
    Views

A '22 Gibson should have a truss rod making it in the Loar improvement era, paddle head or snake. If it has the truss rod I think a $1000 is a good deal. These tend to have a deep rich sound, unlike...
  22. Replies
    Views

It sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse or two (the wedding, the investment, etc.) to buy a nicer mandolin. Ask me how I know! :cool:
  23. Replies
    Views

If you want it, a wedding is certainly a good excuse for getting it.
  24. Replies
    Views

I vote with Jimmy. It sounds like you may be wanting to give a better sounding experience as a wedding present. There are always exceptions, but the chances that the bride will recognize that you...
  25. Replies
    Views

I think the wedding could be taken out of the equation. Paying $1000 compared to say $300 just for one 'gig' doesn't make a great dral of sense. To the untrained ear, one mandolin sounds the same as...
Page 1 of 2 1 2