Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Down/up allows your timing to come out right every time. It's also what John Reischman plays and teaches, and that's good enough for me. Mandolin's not a guitar, and it becomes automatic before...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-Model Serial Number ID

The serial number may not be readily visible, but is it relevant. The FON gives a 1920 manufacturing date and that's usually the information sought. As Spann points out, the FON is assigned at the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Master Model ....question

The ad sounds like a fishing trip. DMMs were in the mid-teens a few years ago, and I expect they would be pulling 20 +/- these days. I saw the ad for the Bill Monroe that rcc56 mentioned and was...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

Great call on the Mike Dulak. He comes from an interesting and highly regarded line of luthiers from Sand Point, Idaho, and continues that fine work. I first encountered him on a 1981 Franklin OM...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Purchasing a good beginner mandolin in Canada

I'd give Byron a call at Myhre's Music in Edmonton. He's very helpful and usually has inventory. I'd also touch bases with Sawchyn Music in Regina.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Top of the line Collings MF5 Deluxe V Custom. Tortoise binding, flamed one piece back. Shiny varnish finish. Came in a Calton case with a red lining. First time I opened the case, I thought I was...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Future octave mandolin player question?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]203481[/ATTACH
    ]There's an Austin Clark in the Classifieds, if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool. It worked for me. I never played an octave, barely knew what it was. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best way to dust my fretboard?

Paint brush.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Dawg Waltz - Tommy Emmanuel & David Grisman

Nice
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins as a work of art

Without getting hung up on the definition of art, I've been lucky enough to have a number of great mandolins and they each stand out in some unique and positive way. I was blown away when I first...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe Classified

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for 1988 Gibson F5

Here’s one more.

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for 1988 Gibson F5

Here’s one. The outside is plain, but I’m having trouble attaching a second photo. Good luck.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay Gibson F-5

It's off the chart. It's from Gibson's worst period and might be worth a few grand, tops. I'm always surprised anyone would even consider a Norlin era anything.

As a practical matter, my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: 1988 Gibson F5L

Congratulations. These Steve Carlsons are fabulous. I've had an F5L like yours and still have an A5L. I seem to recall reading about this mandolin in another thread, and I believe the Steve Harvey...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: New NMD - Collings

That's a beauty. MF is a great mandolin. Big bang for your buck, and can last forever. Enjoy.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The waiting begins: order in for Clark Octave

The OM looks like a standout new member of the family. Congratulations.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: A style Kimble, Heiden or ...

I don't think of the point as digging into my leg. I think it as anchoring the mando and keeping it from sliding around. All the above suggestions are great. Have fun; you can't go wrong.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: In search of a mandolin...

I don't know about other members' experience, but I had a chance to play a '39 Gibson F5 that had been massaged by Randy Wood. Unreal! it was gone before I could close on it, but ever since then...
  20. Replies
    Views

RIP Billy Joe Shaver

Died yesterday in Waco, Texas. He wrote practically everything on the Waylon Jennings seminal outlaws album, "Honky Tonk Heroes". A Texas singer songwriter, he was a gentle soul who lived a lot of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: First song to learn on mandolin

Yeah, that's the same one I started out with. Piece of cake.