Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Mandolin stand

Just as people come on to Mandolin Cafe and brag about their new mandolins, I would like to brag about a new mandolin stand that I received last week.

In the past I tried to use one of those cheap...
  2. Replies
    Views

new blues mandolin book

I saw this in the Cafe ads, but haven't seen it -- looks good though.

https://brentrobitaille.com/product/mandolin-blues-book/
  3. Does your mando need a setup? Learn to do it yourself!

Hi there, mandolin lovers. Many moons ago I wrote an ebook on how to set up a mandolin. Mandolins are finicky little beasts and very slight adjustments can make a very big difference. I've been...
  4. Norman Blake & Saint Elmo Slim - T.A.G. Railroad Rag

If I could play like this just once I would call my musical career accomplished.
    I believe that's a Lyon and Healy style C maybe?

PyB7Jlfm6yY
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1st position - 8th fret

Page 3. Probably not really what you want for this application, but this might help for many other cases:
    http://jazzmando.com/FFcP.pdf
  6. Replies
    Views

Good point, John, you could play the whole arpeggio in second position. And in fact for tunes in the key of F second position will often be simpler and smoother than first. But presumably, in the...
  7. Replies
    Views

You could also try playing the F (3rd fret, D string) with your first finger, then A at 7th fret, 3rd finger, C on A string 3rd fret with 1st finger, High F at 8th fret on A string with 4th finger,...
  8. Replies
    Views

If you're just going to C and no higher, reaching with 4th finger while remaining in first position is actually a pretty normal fingering.

As an exercise, try playing the normal first position C...
  9. Replies
    Views

Personally, I just do a mini shift up. A 1.5 position, if you will. While I can stretch my pinky to get it, it comes out cleaner sounding if I shift a bit. May not be exactly proper technique, but...