Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Low, Low Frets on SOL

If it sounds great and plays great, why change anything?
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Also, a Howard Morris mandolin just popped up in the classifieds, reminding me that he builds some excellent instruments that can be found at your preferred price point. I'm not sure if he builds...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on mandolin Upgrade

Checkout the Breedlove A's. The American made ones have a radiused fingerboard that is a bit wider than many alternatives in that range. I know a guy with two of them and the both sound very good...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Yes, Aged-Tone is Bourgeois for “torrified.” I had a chance to play one of the earlier Martin “Authentic” models with a torrified top, as well as an actual 1930s model of the same guitar and an...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Short attention span? play as long as it lasts, then come back later for a little longer ... tunes may only last 3 minutes any way.:whistling:
  6. Replies
    Views

Good call Charlie, the title of one of my professional presentations is "Adult ADHD: What was the question?"
  7. Replies
    Views

The first step for anyone learning mandolin is to have a decent sounding one that has as good a setup for easy playability. I am no actual expert on ADHD but I did teach elementary, middle school,...
  8. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

I get tired of folks denigrating ALL mandos made overseas. The Eastman/Breedlove and other makers can be outstanding. Mandoplumb (above) nails it on the head...one has to play several to find that...
  9. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I have big clip on tuners on my instruments and don’t care what they look like or what they cover, as long as they don’t scratch the headstock and help me stay in tune.

I dress funny too, so...
  10. Replies
    Views

Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Yet another reason that I abhor the common abbreviation for the instrument that's called the M-A-N-D-O-L-I-N...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Shout out to Lakota Leathers

As an Indigenous person I am planning on getting a Lakota strap for my mandolin as well as resonator. Elk and bison. Hear nothing but great things about these straps. And just have to have them.
  12. Re: Looking for some help sifting through reverb

I think the better bet is to shop the classifieds on this site for 2 reasons. The first is a better selection of quality instruments, but the most important is the management of the website takes...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

Try here:
    Contact Mike for everything mando.

phone: 573-698-1010
    email: swingdog@bigmuddymandolin.com

Big Muddy Mandolin Company

600 3rd Street
    Rocheport, Missouri 65279
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Affordable American Made Mandolins

There are many older, American made, Breedlove mandolins out there for less than $1500. Not traditional styled, but usually nice sounding and easy to play.
  15. Replies
    Views

Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

Hello all. I'm launching a new series of quick videos each day of blues mandolin licks. The videos will be on YouTube with explanation to figure them out; tablature will be through my Patreon site....
  16. Thread: Swannanoa

by Berto Boy
    Replies
    Views

Swannanoa

I have just returned from my first Swannanoa Gathering experience. Mandolin/banjo week /fiddle week was an amazing experience. While the price tag might seem steep for some, the line up of Mike...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Pete Wernick, of Hotrize wrote a book, years ago, How to Make a Band Work. Everything, literally everything was considered. One thing stuck out to me. The last thing the MC says should be the name of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Not just just black Bluesmen. The enigmatic Chuck Berry, had to have 10k in a paper sack.
    Food for a song: "Johnny B. Who? Never heard of him. Not til I get paid."
  19. Replies
    Views

Lots of good advice above. We've also found that perhaps one humorous song per set with catchy words that will stick with the audience and a song with a simple chorus that the audience can quickly...
  20. Replies
    Views

There are a lot of good suggestions. Most of us have had all or most of the experiences here. My advise is simple, have a good time. Look like you are having fun, if the audience thinks you are...
  21. Replies
    Views

I'm sure racism, as in your example, was a big part of that experience. Still, I've also heard many stories about white musicians being ripped off by white promoters and bar owners as well as about...
  22. Replies
    Views

Hopefully this is not too political, but that was a legacy of racial discrimination. Doc Watson told a story of a festival where the promoter was refusing to pay Sonny Terry but paid all of the...
  23. Replies
    Views

I generally have a music stand on stage, not exclusively for my use, but in the case of having someone in the ensemble who lacks complete familiarity with my repertoire (difficult to maintain regular...
  24. Replies
    Views

I read that back in the seventies, the old southern blues guys performing at the Mariposa Folk Festival always insisted on being paid cash before they went on stage. They were always told that this...
  25. Replies
    Views

For me, this is a tricky approach. Years ago, I took a great eight-session bluegrass band performance workshop, and midway through that, our coach --- a local professional musician --- asked me why...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4