Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

Thomastik's Dominant series would be my suggestion. Their Vision series is also good, but a bit brighter. They are not all-metal, but have a substantial fiber component to emulate gut strings.
  2. John McGann transcriptions - Billie's Bounce and St. Thomas

I took some correspondence lessons form John way back when. I recently came across the original sheets he mailed me. They were done in pencil. I decided to re-scan them and share here. Some nice...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Yea, I don't know. Usually this is an excellent mindset. But to be honest with myself, I learn the picking when I learn the tune. So yea I play mostly DUDU, but that is because it is what the...
  4. Re: Stolen Mandolin - Pava A5 in Lafayette, LA

GREAT NEWS! Silas' mandolin has been recovered in Lafayette. It is now there with friends and Silas will have it back very soon. Thank you so much for your help everyone!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me spend $10k

Great fun to think about spending 10 k for mandolins / octave mandolins.

From my experience:
    Long time Collings MF5 player (that now has a MF5V on loan from a dear friend - for sale actually),...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Meeting MC forum members

I have been pining for a revival of the Symposium, and even thinking who I could corral here on the East Coast to sponsor one. It was a unique collection of all genres, and with experts in every...
  7. Article: Fiddler's Green Music Shop Takes a New Location in Lockh

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/977-Fiddler-s-Green-Music-Shop-Takes-a-New-Location-in-Lockhart-Texas
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplifier for electric mandolin

things i've looked for, no particular order:

headroom:
    particularly if you're amplifying an 8 string (acoustic or electric), things get crunchy real fast with low powered things..10...
  9. Replies
    Views

serious blues mando here

best vid found in a long time on the tube

solo blues mandolin ... love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFge96aYTvs
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Statesboro Blues

Thank you Dan, this is very helpful.

Tim
  11. Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

there are various ways to codify the groups of tones(scales, modes,etc) that yield a blues sound.."blues scale", "minor pentatonic", etc. It seems that blue tones, common to various rows of tones are...
  12. Thread: Hearing aids

by Rdeane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I visited my audiologist yesterday. My hearing had declined (apparent even with my hearing aids on) and I was sure I needed a tweak. Only one ear had noticeably declined, thankfully, and she was...
  13. Re: Jerry Hill Mandolins -- Anyone seen/tried/have one? Feedback

I bought it! :) Ben was super helpful and took a great amount of time to make me comfortable with the instrument and to help me understand a few other areas of importance as I approach learning...
  14. Thread: I got the blues

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

I got the blues

We haven't had much blues around here of late. It's time to post something. Here's "Mailman Blues" with Yank Rachell on mandolin and Sleepy John Estes on guitar and vocals:
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: E string 1st fret issue and thumb wheels

The thumb wheels don't turn easily, or if at all, under the string pressure. Typically you need to slacken at least 1 pair, if not both pairs of strings on the side you want to lower. Don't slacken...
  16. Re: Today in Mandolin History - August 5, 1890, Lawrence, KS Jour

All hail August 5! If we could go back in time we'd share some music with these folks. Guessing likker may have been involved! This would have occurred less than an mile from Cafe headquarters, maybe...
  17. Re: Elixir Official Notice Mandolin strings discontinued

Used to use them, but didn't like the way the fuzzed as they got worn. Went to GHS silk and bronze for a while, now their Pure Nickel. They last a long time and don't get fuzzy as they age.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Best On-Instrument Mic

Re: Bartlett mics:

Since a few of you have mentioned them, I have one a got several years ago for my acoustic guitar and was very happy with it. Would it work well on my mandolin? Or would I...
  19. Replies
    Views

"The Tree"

Presumably everybody who builds instruments knows about "The Tree." This is a rather good article on the subject: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-legend-of-the-music-tree-180979792/
  20. Re: What Pickup/Pre-amp pedal are you currently using?

K&K with a RedEye. My RedEye uses a battery for the times there is not phantom. I thought they all had a battery,. You have to unscrew it to change the battery, there is no battery box that is...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Yank and Sleepy

Well, now, there was a time capsule! From the opening number, Rufus Thomas "Walking the Dog" backed by The Bar-Kays to the closer by Mississippi Fred McDowell (and the Bar-Kays playing ""Let The...
  22. Thread: B7b9

by Don Stiernberg
    Replies
    Views

Re: B7b9

assuming the B7b9 leads to the Em as in Autumn Leaves, that voicing that is effectively a diminished chord is what you want. Alan's voicing puts the b9 pitch on the bottom. Remember that the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Powerful A models in the 5K range

Looks great, signed by one of the best, Waverly and James are good QoL upgrades. A lot to love. Enjoy!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Miller Brothers Bluegrass

Yes it is cool, it was a surprise to my step dad, it would have been better if his brothers were here with him.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Really good tremelo exercises?

What I have tried to do is practice tremolo exercises trying to get it smooth and sounding decent, especially with double stops, and play it in songs to get a good clean transition from tremolo to...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4