Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

Aw mannnn.... such sad news. Will deeply miss it.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

Like many people here, I've tried many, many picks... and, like many people here, I always seem to come back to the Blue Chip. I use a TAD 40 on my oval and a CT 55 on my F. Just like the way they...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Best of times; the worst of times.

Regular posters here become teachers and mentors to us newbies. Count yourself among them and know that you've influenced my time with and knowledge of the mandolin. Thank you.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Informal Poll

I'm 69 years old and have been playing mandolin for 4 years or so -- I play guitar and some banjo. I have 3 mandolins and am very happy with them -- the most I've paid is 4K. I play them every day...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

Am really enjoying a set of GHS A 270s on my Stiver after using J75s. Strong G and D courses with smooth, quiet slides. A has power. The only weakness is that the E seems a bit light. Think I'll go...
  6. Re: F5's from $3000-5000 worth considering - Sept '19

I'd go for the Ruhland F5X at Carters.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange in SLO! Going!!

Saw their show last month at the El Rey in LA. Just extraordinary. At the moment, my favorite group by far. Exquisite singing and playing. Andrew is one of the best songwriters alive today. They are...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips on reaching the F Chord

Good advice above. You also may want to try similar shapes up the neck that don't have quite the reach, but require an angled hand position and a stretched pinky. I'm thinking of a chop A. When you...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I’d rather have Jesus

Sweet. Thank you.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange on WGBH

I think their soft style really shows off the tone of that Gilchrist. My wife - as I'm a relatively new player - has always questioned whether mandos really sound that different, particularly as...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins on airplanes

I will say, however, that most of those airline trips were to Hawaii on Hawaiian Arlines. They're so used to Ukeleles flying back and forth, I think they're a little soft on regulations.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins on airplanes

I have had no trouble with putting my Collings A case in the overhead, and have never been challenged by airline staff. But that's a small case. The big, square TKL that houses my F would never...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando detail questions

For me, there is no comparison between a James tailpiece and a cast tail, unless you never change your strings. The ease and speed of the James is worth every penny.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver mandolin registry

Be great to have this - does it exist? I have #353 - an F finished in June, 2015. Bought it April, 2018 from Elderly - it was on consignment. Lou Stiver told me via email that it was originally...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Dunlop Picks

Primetone 1.5 sculpted plectra - that's the smooth one without the raised logo stamp. It plays and sounds remarkably like my BC Thile for a fraction of the cost.
  16. Re: Need help deciding if radius FB will help me

If you use barre chords a lot, I think the radiused boards have a slight edge. My hands and finger pads are on the small side, making the G chop tough and fretting the G & D with one finger pad kind...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone stop playing guitar for Mandolin?

Drifting toward retirement, I decided to upgrade my guitar - which I really hadn't played that much in the last 30 years. Bought a beautiful, new, HD-28... and realized that my old folk song...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Let’s talk ovals Vs f’s

I would second the advice you received from your experienced player in the jam. I have an MT2O and a couple of f-hole A's - the MT2O is a fantastic mandolin with a beautiful sound and sustain, but...
  19. Thread: What the

by Jim Parriott
    Replies
    Views

Re: What the

Totally agree with Ken. One of the most exciting things that's happening in music now, is bluegrass/country musicians stretching into other genres and finding something new. Bluegrass is their...
  20. Re: J. Bovier F5 or Loar 600/700 with CA bridge

I believe you can find a superb used A in your price range. I've seen Collings MTs in the Classifieds for that. LIsten to pheffernan. From my own experience, it's good advice.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to find J Bovier

I had the same problem. You can wait for used J Boviers to turn up in the classifieds here - but, in a testament to the instruments, most people seem to keep them in their collection, so they don't...
  22. Re: Thursday Night Jam in Nederland CO is back!

Damn that sounds like fun. My family has had a couple of cabins up there (Marysville - on the downslope below Eldora Lake) since the 30's. Only discovering now that they're in the middle of a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie with small hands, yes I'm a girl.

I'm relatively new to the mandolin, too, coming from guitar and banjo. A great tip I got from this board was to approach the neck with a hand position similar to playing the violin. This will help...