Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Greenbrier A-7 (#10) 2016

I just asked her about this and she answered that she does not make them from kits. She said she has the wood stored at her shop, sometimes up to 2 years. She purchases some through Stew-Mac. Takes...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff's Thoughts On Accoustics

I'll comment here before this roast Roger thread gets shut down: I have both played and listened up close & personal to Roger Siminoff's personal F5. It was easily one of the 5 best bluegrass...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff's Thoughts On Accoustics

I still think if it gets louder it is amplified and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I can also understand someone trying to make people use the correct word. I do plumbing work and my pet peeve is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Best chord diagram list ever!

Wow! I just found this site for zillions of great chords for mandolin!

http://chordlist.brian-amberg.de/en/mandolin/standard/Dbm/ra.html

I have 3 chord books, and NONE of them has some of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Spruce and the Laser

I agree. Reflections of the bridge and strings can also give an impression of a depression in the bridge area when there is none.
  6. Re: Can't seem to get a grip on my pick, it's always wandering of

I have noticed that a pick will stay put, unnoticed, until 1-2 bars before your turn on a break - and then wander off on cue
  7. Replies
    Views

Some very fine Nancy Blake mandolin

I had not seen this before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I_hmwUMHzE

I think this is Nancy's famous (but rarely seen) '23 Loar.

As always with Nancy and Norman, beautifully played...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando is Skip playing?

Looks like David Davis takes the 2nd solo. Casey Campbell is the guy w/dark curly hair and beard. During Skip's opening round, Roland White (!) moves over to fill in on string bass, allowing Chris...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando is Skip playing?

It's a Newsom. I asked him about it at the Monroe Camp...says he really likes it.

Also in the video on mandolin is Casey Campbell, David Davis, and Mark Royal.
  10. Replies
    Views

Is this being thrifty or is it Stealing ?

I was going to make a purchase today from the Cafe Classifieds. the Seller directed me to send payment through a popular service that charges a 3 % fee for the convenience and security in case...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A Jr. Owners

For years I used GHS bronze mediums ---somewhere I switched over to J74's, probably because that was what was in the store, and used them for quite a while and they seem very much like the GHS...
  12. Replies
    Views

String choices are very personal. On my Ajr, I'm using J73 on the top three courses combined with the G from J74. I tried J74 and thought the mandolin was overstrung and muted. Funnily enough, I...
  13. Replies
    Views

I have an A Jr. and it's about the only mandolin I've ever used the J74 set on. I tried the J73s that I use on my Laughlin but they didn't work for me. I used to like silk and bronze on my...
  14. Replies
    Views

I bought mine in 1983 from the original owner who bought it new in 1923.
    And yes, mine was a snake head with a manufacturing date of Dec 1922.
    I used Thomastiks.. I was not playing bluegrass or...
  15. Replies
    Views

Yes, I really like GHS. I put on the Lights, though. They are fine. I have a A JR 1923 Paddlehead

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a250.html

Good Luck!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Turkey In The Straw Video Lesson

Just trying to give back some content to a website I've gotten a lot of instruction out of over the years. I'm not suggesting anyone buy anything.

If it's not welcome I won't post any future...
  17. Thread: Thile lesson

by BradKlein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thile lesson

This thread contains some of the silliest comments ever on the Cafe. But it starts with a wonderful master class video that we should all be grateful for. This is material that CT and other serious...
  18. 97 year old plays mandolin debut concert at Lincoln Center

Best mandolin story you'll read all day, with video as well. Puts all the trivia into perspective:

http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/208357/at--holocaust-survivor-plays-lincoln-center/
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Swirly Ear Snapped Off - Normal Or...

The trick is to eschew F style mandolins! Problem solved. All that frou-frou is just eyewash anyway. Nothing like the clean, beautiful lines of an A style! LOL

:))
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Swirly Ear Snapped Off - Normal Or...

Noooooo, everyone knows for this type repair you must use gorilla glue backed up with a horseshoe nail. That way you don't need the pilot hole
  21. David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

Acoustic Oasis has released new tracks and alternate takes from the last...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Kiln dried wood source?

The suppliers I use like LMI, StewMac and Alaska Tonewood all have kiln dried spruce specially for mandolin tops. StewMac and LMI also have maple.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Superglueing Frets

Yes and yes.
    I only glue frets as a last resort. Heat will release the CA, the frets come right out, but then we're faced with the task (I'm in the midst of one right now :mad: ) of removing the CA...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Has this happened to you?

My friend Tim ( big tall long-haired guy ) used to do that all the time . I finally had to tell him " For God's sake ....go buy your own 'ukelele' ". The rest is musical history .
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Has this happened to you?

Never had this, but I'd know how to improve his falsetto voice...
Page 1 of 2 1 2