Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement

From RayT - "Some people think that their job makes them too important to retire.". In the case of the guy i mentioned,he was exactly that. A senior systems engineer with 50 years of experience....
  2. Replies
    Views

Play "Green River" by CCR

I started playing with this tune and had some fun with it, decided to make a brief tutorial on how to play the song Green River by Creedance Clearwater Revival.

I have a lot of projects going on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Introvert and extrovert

Both John Flynn and Tobin correctly state what introvert/extrovert personality aspects are. My company used to put a lot of stock in the Myers-Briggs personality types and sent us all to more than...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Band Practice Etiquette

I've been in bands and ensemble groups. I've never been the leader of a touring group. What Danny Barnes describes in his attributes of the perfect sideman to me go over the top, beyond band...
  5. Thread: Arthritis

by Nbayrfr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

Turmeric with black pepper work for me. I have arthritis at the base of my left thumb.
    Stopped playing certain songs and chords about 10 years ago. I've been using turmeric mixed with black pepper...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Composition in Roots Music

Thanks for all the responses folks, and sorry I wasn't participating in the discussion -- I pretty much forgot that I posted this. I've now got a lot of listening ahead of me!

This thread brought...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Songwriting: How do YOU find your melody?

I have tried composing melodies, and even taken some courses and workshops on composition, and I cannot create a tune that interests me, much less delights me as much as the tunes already out there....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: "Space age flat pick" I-Tone

I need me one of them there picks that don't get hot sos I could stop burning my fingers on them fast songs.
  9. Ten Years At the Cafe - Thanks from BradKlein!

It's been a terrific decade interacting with the folks here at the Mandolin Cafe. Special thanks to Scott for giving me a platform to share my enthusiasm for some of the great NYC-based BG and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Composition in Roots Music

1. Every piece of music was composed once by someone. Lots of tunes/songs that are "public domain" -- i.e., no longer under copyright -- get listed as "traditional" because [a] they're old, and [b]...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: String Choices vs Mando type vs Mando quality

I agree it would be interesting to hear Mr. Dudenbostal's input. As stated earlier, Silverangels are built with EJ75 gauges in mind, and there's definitely a difference in how mine sounds and the...
  12. Re: String Choices vs Mando type vs Mando quality

A friend of mine & a fellow UK Cafe member used to use Thomastik strings on his Heiden "A" style when he first got it. To say that they were 'underpowered' would be a gross understatement,it was just...
  13. Re: String Choices vs Mando type vs Mando quality

Some luthiers (like Ken Ratcliff) build with EJ75's in mind from the bench. Meanwhile, some players find that overstringing a mandolin can actually choke the tone. In your position, I'd start by...
  14. A Treasure Trove of Tiny, Johnny and Jethro

And that Eldon Shamblin guy on guitar.

Blues in G followed by Fat Boy Rag

jEwnnXPtlMI

Some fiddling

q3X1lJLFNC4
  15. Replies
    Views

4 common bebop phrases

Here are 4 videos each containing a common bebop improvising phrase. The lick starts at 4:50 of each video. The first of each vid describes the scale and key each phrase comes from (key of F major,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Lots of notes vs. defining the melody

If you're playing in a jam or with a band, play to make the others sound better. (As everybody else should be doing) If you do this it makes no difference if you shred or play subtly...it'll sound...
  17. Replies
    Views

Hello,

Just to share my experience of years of music.

In the begining I tried to play solos on the trumpet with lots of notes, pentatonic and blues scales played very fast, but without no...
  18. Replies
    Views

I'm not a mandolin player (started out on bass, now play ukulele, some four-string theme going on here) but I've seen several musicians progress from intermediate to accomplished on various...
  19. Replies
    Views

I found this piece of brilliance by Chris Thile. I love it. A good example of doing it all - keeping relevant to the tune, and going fast and furiously creative.

And making an old war horse...
  20. Replies
    Views

I'd suggest, if OP wants to adopt a more "melodic" style, to learn some fiddle tunes -- just the melody -- and play them cleanly as possible. Then start improvising off the melody, perhaps playing...
  21. Replies
    Views

Good point Jim. Starting out as a new player, many notes will occupy your time but melody based breaks inform your ear and your playing. I enjoy both style breaks but melody based breaks are my...
  22. Replies
    Views

I don't even like to watch/listen to flashy pickers anymore. Give me some simple and melodic playing any day.
  23. Replies
    Views

I haven't shared the journey as I am at best a mediocre improviser, and spontaneous real time composition in public is never something I look forward to. Especially when the melody itself is often so...
  24. Replies
    Views

Jim,
    I also consider myself to be an intermediate player and like you I prefer to hear the melody. I have a bit of arthritis in my hands, 30 years as a photographer developing prints does that to...
  25. Replies
    Views

I agree, and post a few similar sentiments from the late great Thelonious Monk (sorry for the all caps):

"STOP PLAYING ALL THOSE WEIRD NOTES, PLAY THE MELODY!"

"WHAT YOU DON’T PLAY CAN BE MORE...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4