Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

I seem to recall Sharon Gilchrist talking about her own Gilchrist F5 needing a long “reawakening” period after some major repair. Maybe Steve is conducting his own A/B experiment!

I’ll just add:...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: 1988 Gibson F5L

That’s a gorgeous mandolin. I’ve eyed a couple of those iced-tea bursts — and it’d be particularly nice for me, as the 1988 would be my birth-year model! If you ever feel like selling, keep me in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Old vs Old vs Old/New Quandary

So, I had an Eastman 515 first, and I was lusting after an old Gibson. So I bought a 1913 Gibson A in horrible, unplayable condition to restore and keep.

I now have two different great playing,...
  4. Re: Modern case options for teens Gibson A models

I have my 1913 A in the lightweight gator. The fit and finish of the case leaves a little to be desired, but the fit of the instrument is stellar!
  5. Re: WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals...

Related: A few months ago, my son warmed up some hide glue and drizzled it on a muffin, thinking it was the caramel sauce my wife had made the previous day.

He only took one bite, but it wasn’t a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally Finished: Soliver #001

Gorgeous! And it sounds just like a mandolin, too ;)

Love that headstock veneer... reminds me of my own guitar #001. Can't wait to see the next one(s).
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

I think you can teach musicality, but I'm not sure it can be decoupled from technique. In other words, if you can't first play the notes, it doesn't matter how soulfully you pluck your strings or...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Clown Barf picks available

My wife surprised me with two of the X-Stiff large triangles for Father's Day. 1) She really knows her stuff, and 2) I like them a lot -- they feel and sound great and you can't beat the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding or replacing binding?

I’ve got more than one vintage instrument with painted-on binding (and fret markers and “pickguard”). Not the worst thing, IMO — it’d certainly be one of a kind on a Gibson mandolin!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

Ditto!

Regarding the picks: No, for me, it is not worth it. I've tried several and they don't provide 10x the benefit of a Dunlop Primetone large triangle. I love trying new picks, and I'm not...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

Probably the 1913 Gibson A that I brought back from the dead. The labor I have in it is easily double or triple its actual market value as a heavily restored & refinished mandolin, so for that reason...
  12. Appendectomy: Trust Your Gut (some mandolin content)

Title says it. Went to the ER yesterday and had my appendix swiftly removed. Symptoms started Tuesday and never got that bad, to be honest. I’m glad I trusted my gut, despite my hesitation to visit a...
  13. Re: Has Anyone Received Stimulus Check? (Possible Mandolin Conten

Mine went through this morning. Unfortunately there are no new mandolins in my future, but I can still browse the classifieds with interest.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

I’m with John... I’ll be maybe the first in this thread to say that the existing repair doesn’t even look that bad. Sure, it’s not completely invisible, but if you had finished the instrument and...
  15. Re: Anybody planting trees? Share your stories!

I just moved three little 12" pines out of my "no grow" landscaped area and am looking forward to seeing if they can take somewhere more appropriate.

I planted our new maple over the footprint of...
  16. Anybody planting trees? Share your stories!

I live in my childhood home, in a cul-de-sac that's mostly surrounded by trees. Over my 32 years I've seen us lose one maple tree to a storm, another to old age, two dogwoods to sewer / drainage...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's new pick

Got mine in the mail Saturday from American Musical Supply. It was glassy smooth out of the package, but becomes a bit textured with some hand warmth. The tone is brighter than my normal Wegen. I...
  18. Re: Sam Bush playing something other than Hoss?

I can't remember the story behind this one -- I think it was some kind of award or gift? -- but if you follow his Instagram, he fairly regularly showcases this one and his other instruments when he...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Dorrigo Fiddle Tune

I learned an arrangement of it -- this Instagram link should be public:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzO-1RcnLNc/

There's also a David Benedict tune by the same name, which I suggest checking...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I’ve been doing 12 Days of Christmas Tunes, on 12 different instruments. MAS? Nah, I’ve only got 5 mandolin-family instruments out of those. Here’s “Sleigh Ride” on a borrowed e-mando. Merry...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: F-4 owned by Norman Blake

That’s one way to look at it. Another way is, Norman isn’t getting any younger and he has played and collected a huge number of instruments over the years. You can’t keep every instrument forever....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do I want this?

Because amber + tortoise binding is the best color scheme out there!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Preparing for a Tru-Oil Finish

(sorry for the accidental hijack)

In my case, it was basically a do-over / afterthought / experiment -- I was decently pleased with my thin shellac finish but ended up wanting a tougher topcoat....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Refinishing the top: pros and cons

I chose a middle-ground option with a 1913 A that had been completely stripped and random hippie sanded. I wanted it to go from nasty dull brown to “well loved” pumpkin. I also had to re-color the...
  25. Finally -- the album we didn't know we were...

Finally -- the album we didn't know we were waiting for!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4