Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Nesmith RIP

I missed the news when he passed, and didn't see this thread until today. I am quite fond of the "Different Drum" song, so here are a couple versions with mandolin content.

First, what the...
  2. Replies
    Views

NMD Stanley A5 #68

I actually received Stanley A5 #68 a couple weeks ago and have been getting to know it. The label is signed October 31, 2013, so it's 8 years old today. I guess Chris Stanley decided an...
  3. Replies
    Views

David Surette's health

David has been battling with cancer for quite a few years and decided to go public with it in a recent note to his mailing list. I was unaware of any of this and so asked for his and Susie's...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The pulse of a tune

I tend to think of fiddle bowing shuffle patterns rather than just the hornpipe rhythm/swing. There's a lot of them. The fiddle shuffle really adds the pulse to the tunes. Mike Compton really gets...
  5. Does your mando need a setup? Learn to do it yourself!

Hi there, mandolin lovers. Many moons ago I wrote an ebook on how to set up a mandolin. Mandolins are finicky little beasts and very slight adjustments can make a very big difference. I've been...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: David Benedict quit Mile Twelve

His October 8 Instagram spelled it out. Worth sharing here. That and continuing to dwell on it while the new members are already playing gigs, I think, could be viewed as bad form. It was a healthy...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: old timey challenge

Look at this. OMG. I guess I am late to the party. You Are My Sunshine by a band called The Dead South. It brings out a darkness that has always been there in the "original" lyrics and but not...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Ookpik Waltz- Chris Thile

Frankie Rodgers, "Ookpik Waltz" (see previous post). If the links don't work, search YouTube for "Frankie Rodgers/Ookpik Waltz".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2IwkS4xHIc&ab_channel=BPMONKMAN
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ookpik Waltz- Chris Thile

A little background on the "Ookpik Waltz" from Traditional Tune Archive -- it ain't Chris Thile's tune. (Back in the 60's, my sister had a toy Ookpik; they were popular in Canada.)

...According to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Monroe Mandolin Camp 2021

Wanted to send a quick shout out and a big thank you to Mike Compton and Heidi Herzog for yet another amazing Monroe Mandolin Camp this past week and weekend. So great to pick with friends old and...
  11. Re: Focal Point Presents | Mike Compton + Joe Newberry

Thanks for the video link. Mike played that Model 4 all Monroe Camp last week. An amazing mandolin that held up just fine amidst all the fine F5's.
  12. David Surette offering new online mandolin class, lessons too!

Hi folks,

The Mandolin Almanac is a new, online, participatory class being offered this fall at the Concord Community Music School in Concord, NH. The Mandolin Almanac is based on last year's...
  13. Replies
    Views

Just for Fun (Sierra Hull)

I couldn't resist posting this. I enjoyed the playing, and they all seem to be having such a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuW7sNyz-hU&ab_channel=HarborHobo

14. New bluegrass fiddle tune jam along podcast

Hi,

Hope it's OK for me to post this here (and apologies in advance if not).

I've been really missing jamming over the past year, and backing tracks haven't quite filled the gap. Either...
  15. Molly Tuttle and Tristan Scroggins: Olympia, WA

Tuttle recorded a full-band version of this Rancid song from last century on her new album, but this is a great duo version. Scroggins rocks the rhythm backing her up, and then both of them totally...
  16. Replies
    Views

Free PDF's of Technical Exercises

In the spirit of helping each other get through this period of increasing downtime and decreasing income, the pdf's at Mando Scales are now free.

(And, if you get a few down enough that you want...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Been making a lot of videos while I'm stuck in my house... Here's me playing Sam Bush's Old Widder Woman
    https://youtu.be/PByj51cA--I
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Soloing, breaks and improvisations

Someone asked this question awhile ago and I made a video for them on a song they were working on. This is a method of creating a break I learned from the late great Butch Baldassari. Once you do...
  19. Re: Article: Collings MT2 Cremona Sunburst Finish Giveaway

Check this out. The video of Kyle unpacking and test driving his new Collings mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmkBvw-6iXw&feature=youtu.be
  20. Re: Article: Collings MT2 Cremona Sunburst Finish Giveaway

Here's what a happy winner of our Collings Giveaway looks like, below. Kyle is fierce on mandolin! There's a video somewhere of him sitting in with Yonder Mountain String Band and apparently he hangs...
  21. Replies
    Views

Sierra again

My apologies to those who have seen this video but I’ve watched it 6 times in the last two days and can’t get enough. The combination of instruments is just awesome.
    https://youtu.be/WpB3yBiJ1Jg
  22. Replies
    Views

Andy Wood - Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCg2aoqh9Q
  23. Thread: Ffcp

by Ted Eschliman
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ffcp

If there's anything I would have done differently in crafting this book, I would have changed the Altered Scales sections to something I call the Augmented 11th Scale. It's the same scale, same...
  24. Re: Joining the Girouard club - commissioned a build!

Here's the piece of Port Orford Cedar Max is going to use for the top!

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another Tone-Gard Post

I'm going to hazard a guess that Don had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek and I only wish I'd beaten him to that line :cool:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4